I think my yeast is dead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBLbrewer

Reaction score
I got a Wyeast activator pack of Irish ale yeast yesterday. I let it warm up for two hours and then smacked it. Nothing happened. No big deal. I've had that before. The yeast was packaged in October. I made a 2 ltr starter of 1040 wort. I pitched it 16 hrs ago. In the past even when it didn't puff, it still started in the starter. Today, there is no activity, and it has separated into three distinct layers. I should also say that I aerated well by shaking multiple times over several hours. What do you think?

sounds likely that its dead. I'd suggest maybe taking a sample of some of the wort, and see if its still at 1.040 OG, that will tell you for sure...

It was pitched yesterday? Way too early to worry about it. It'll have to reproduce before it gets to the business of fermentation.

I'd wait about three days, then if there was absolutely NO indication a lower SG, then consider repitching.

It was pitched yesterday? Way too early to worry about it. It'll have to reproduce before it gets to the business of fermentation.

I'd wait about three days, then if there was absolutely NO indication a lower SG, then consider repitching.

The problem is that i'm using this starter for my brew day on Friday. It actually seperated into three layers last night, and I shook it up again. It looked exactly the same today. I would have thought that with only 2 Ltrs of wort I would have seen some change.

Check the gravity, and see what it is now. Also, always, always, always keep a package or three of Dry Yeast in your fridge for an emergency. I've got Notty, US-05 & S-04, as well as a package of Red Star Montrachet in my fridge at all times.

Back