pressure cooker/autoclave...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinibrew04

Reaction score
OK guys, so just to preface this, I'm extremely careful and some might even say geeky about sanitation practices in my brewing. I have a pressure cooker for canning sterile starter wort. That being said, I have thought about using it to autoclave certain stainless parts of my brewing equipment (i.e. my oxygen stone). Would it be OK to, say, put the oxygen stone in some water in a pint sized jar, sterilize it at 250 degrees for 15 minutes in the pressure cooker, and then leave it in the jar until I needed it on brew day? I'm thinking it wouldn't rust since it's stainless, and then I wouldn't have to boil it before putting it into my inline O2 system on brew day. It would save me an extra step. What do you guys think? As usual, thanks for the input.

depends on the grade of stainless, assuming it's 300 series and you put it in a mug or jar with say a 1/2 oz of water and cover with tin foil and hold at 15psi for 30 minutes, it's compon opinion that it will be sterile and remain so until the foil is breached.

You should even be able to put it in a beaker or something without water, cover it with foil, and run it for 30 minutes at 15lbs pressure (which is essentially a 121C autoclave cycle). Cover it with foil before it goes in as you normally would and it will be sterile until you break the seal.

Back