Name this Infection!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
So, it appears as though I've finally got my first infection. It was my sixth batch, and the one I've been looking forward to the most - Pecan Scottish Ale.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/pecan-scottish-80-a-49707/

So, help me out here if you would and let me know what to expect from this. I'll still bottle it, RDWHAHB and wait for it to condition, but I'm hoping it won't affect the taste forever. I haven't tasted it yet, by the way.

FYI: It sat in the primary for 3 weeks today.

Infection1.jpg

Infection2.jpg

By the way, it doesn't smell bad at all. There's no foul odor. Maybe it could just be something as a result of the nuts, maybe the oils or something?

That just looks like some funky fermentarion leftovers floating on top to me. I have an IPA In secondary that looked similar when I racked it. Sample tasted like I'd expect. I bet it's fine.

Not an infection, but damn that's some nasty looking stuff - that second pic almost made me lose my dinner. ;)

Looks normal to me..just some oils on the surfact mixed in with the krausen...

You answered your onw question right here.

By the way, it doesn't smell bad at all. There's no foul odor. Maybe it could just be something as a result of the nuts, maybe the oils or something?

RDWHAHB

:D

Thanks all. First I bottled the Bee Cave IPA (Which tasted REALLY great. I kept it in the primary for 3 weeks, dry hopping the entire time. It really has an amazing hop aroma and flavor without being too bitter, and I usually don't like IPA's). Then I decided to crack open the Pecan Scottish again, and actually did a double take, thinking to myself "Where did I put the Pecan? This isn't it...". I then realized that the only one left WAS the Pecan. Turns out, every single bit of that top layer was completely gone after 30 minutes of air exposure (with the lid on).

It sure did look nasty though! On a taste test, I give it three thumbs up.

I'm just a lowly lager brewer, so what i think is sh*t. But, that looks like a serious infection to me . I'm glad there are more knowledgable brewers to help you out here, but you couldn't get that in my mouth with a crowbar. :D

I'm just a lowly lager brewer, so what i think is sh*t. But, that looks like a serious infection to me . I'm glad there are more knowledgable brewers to help you out here, but you couldn't get that in my mouth with a crowbar. :D

It tasted great and went away after an hour roughly. It looked like normal beer when I bottled it, there was no top layer at all.

Latest posts

Back