Propagator vs activator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquaholic223

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here.

So I am getting ready to make my first liquid yeast starter here in a day or two. I am using a wyeast american ale propagator pack. On the pack it recommends a 2l starter but when I check it on the Mr malty calculator it says I only need to make a 1l starter.

I guess the question is, does the mr malty calculator assume you are making a starter with a propagator pack(50ml) or an activator pack(125ml)???? Does it even matter???

Additional info: OG is 1.058-1.060 and I will be using a stir plate. I'm sure that factors into the equation here.

Thanks in advance for the guidance....Just want to make sure that thing gets :rockin:

Hey guys, first post here.

So I am getting ready to make my first liquid yeast starter here in a day or two. I am using a wyeast american ale propagator pack. On the pack it recommends a 2l starter but when I check it on the Mr malty calculator it says I only need to make a 1l starter.

I guess the question is, does the mr malty calculator assume you are making a starter with a propagator pack(50ml) or an activator pack(125ml)???? Does it even matter???

Additional info: OG is 1.058-1.060 and I will be using a stir plate. I'm sure that factors into the equation here.

Thanks in advance for the guidance....Just want to make sure that thing gets :rockin:

It matters! A propagator pack is just that- a pack designed for you to grow more yeast. An activator pack is what is assumed in mrmalty.com. For an OG of 1.060, you'll definitely want at least a 2L starter with a propagator pack.

Sorry, another quick question.

Since I am using the propagator pack, would I benefit from stepping up my starter from say 1l to 2l, or should I just go ahead and make the 2l starter?

This is from the Wyeast website
Usage
The Propagator™ package contains a minimum of 25 billion cells in a yeast slurry. This volume is not adequate for direct pitching into 5 gallons of wort and requires a 1-2 L propagation step prior to brewing. The Propagator™ is designed, when propagated in a 1-2 liter “starter” culture, to inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates.

I would step up to it but it doesn't seem that Wyeast thinks that's a big deal.

Back