Wireless Digital Thermometer on Woot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The connection between the probe and the braided wire is not waterproof. Yeah, you could try to waterproof it a la DRoy's link, but why? Save yourself a lot of headache and just get a type k thermocouple. Your mash temps should not be changing so much over the course of a mash that you really need a wireless thermometer to carry around with you.

I was interested in this same thermometer simply from the angle of being alerted when my water hits strike temp or gets close to boiling. Given the trouble involved with waterproofing it, I think I'll pass.

Oooh, so tempting...I just borked my last one by dropping it in to the wort....it works now, (buttons stick), but it's off by 5-10 degrees randomly.

Before it took a few wort swims, it worked great...set alarms to tell me when I was reaching steep/mash/strike temps, put the remote probe inside my mash "bucket", wrap the bucket in a sleeping bag to hold temps, and have the unit outside the sleeping bag so I could constantly monitor mash temps for the whole hour without unwrapping the pot...

My wires were cracked and gross too, but I think that was from the high temp barbequing I put it through before I repurposed it for beer making....I think as long as you don't let it swim, I think it's a good deal.

I promised SWMBO that I wouldn't buy any more beer stuff in the near future though...hrm....

Oooh, so tempting...I just borked my last one by dropping it in to the wort....it works now, (buttons stick), but it's off by 5-10 degrees randomly.

Before it took a few wort swims, it worked great...set alarms to tell me when I was reaching steep/mash/strike temps, put the remote probe inside my mash "bucket", wrap the bucket in a sleeping bag to hold temps, and have the unit outside the sleeping bag so I could constantly monitor mash temps for the whole hour without unwrapping the pot...

My wires were cracked and gross too, but I think that was from the high temp barbequing I put it through before I repurposed it for beer making....I think as long as you don't let it swim, I think it's a good deal.

I promised SWMBO that I wouldn't buy any more beer stuff in the near future though...hrm....

Its not for beer making. Its for grilling.... ;)

Latest posts

Back