Weihenstephaner 3068...pitch rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm about to make the starter for a 5g batch of a Weihenstephaner dunkel clone, and I'm not quite sure how big to make it.

I know there are calculators out there, but since a slight estery profile is distinctive of the style...I would hate to just arbitrarily pitch the same amount I would for say a clean tasting APA. Is there a good rule of thumb for the German strains?

The recipe calls for a 1L starter, but I want to make this as close as possible to the original. What do you guys recommend? Also, what temps would you guys ferment at?

Thanks in advance! :)

edit: Oh, OG should be somewhere around 1.057 assuming all goes well!

Closer to a 2L starter would be ideal, but if you can only do a 1L, it should work fine. The pitching rates still apply for German beers. Let the different strain handle the esters.

Ferment it cooler than you would think. 62 F if you can keep it there. I wold definately keep it under 68

Yeah I can do a 2L starter, I just wanted to make sure and not over-pitch since Wyeast even comments on large pitching rates reducing ester production.

I was thinking of keeping it in the low range too, so 62F-ish it is!

Yeah I can do a 2L starter, I just wanted to make sure and not over-pitch since Wyeast even comments on large pitching rates reducing ester production.

I was thinking of keeping it in the low range too, so 62F-ish it is!

I've found the sweet spot for me with 3068 to be a 1L starter or using the smack pack straight. A 2L starter has given me less of the flavor profile that I want. I pitched to a 3068 yeast cake once (just to see) and was underwhelmed with the result.
I've played around with different temps, and I like the results from 62F to 68F, with 64F being my favorite.

I've found the sweet spot for me with 3068 to be a 1L starter or using the smack pack straight. A 2L starter has given me less of the flavor profile that I want.

Ooops...the starter's already been made!

I guess I could shake it a little less than usual to keep cell count a little lower.

Well, also, gxm is getting his Wyeast really local, while yours is getting shipped all the way to Texas. I'd say doing 2L is just extra insurance. Either way it should be fine.

Back