Thermal grease needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeer95648

Reaction score
Bought a T/C thermowell from Brewershardware.com to use with my morebeer heated cooled conical. The fit of the probe is a little sloppy compared to what I had been using prior. Do you guys/gals think that I will need a thermal grease to get a good read on the Ranco dual controller? Anything you could use in a pinch if I cant find thermal grease local?

Thanks for the input.

Bought a T/C thermowell from Brewershardware.com to use with my morebeer heated cooled conical. The fit of the probe is a little sloppy compared to what I had been using prior. Do you guys/gals think that I will need a thermal grease to get a good read on the Ranco dual controller? Anything you could use in a pinch if I cant find thermal grease local?

Thanks for the input.

Yep, if your twinky lil thermister can flap around in the hole, you need thermal grease. Sorry, that's life. :)

Figured as much. I guess there are bigger problems in life than a loose fit.

I assume any grease from a place such as Radio shack will work? I guess that will be on my list tomorrow before christening the fermenter (actually old, but has a new overpriced lid upgrade:))

Radio shack has it. It's probably a good idea to use it if the fit is a bit sloppy.

With that settled, anyone have any tips on how to get the probe in the well (20" depth) without losing all the grease on the way?

Thermal grease will help even if the "fit" is snug. The grease will increase sens accuracy and lower response time. I purchased some aeration tubing from a pet store, cut a 6" long piece and shoved it onto the grease syringe.

With that settled, anyone have any tips on how to get the probe in the well (20" depth) without losing all the grease on the way?

Has anyone tried mineral oil? I was thinking about giving it try on my next batch where I'll be using the same thermowell (20"). I figure a few drops in the bottom should do it.

Has anyone tried mineral oil? I was thinking about giving it try on my next batch where I'll be using the same thermowell (20"). I figure a few drops in the bottom should do it.

I would be curios too. I went to radio shack and purchased their silicone based heat sink. I have a batch going now. It seems to be working, but I am anxious as I couldn't test out the set-up before putting wort in the thing. I smeared some on the sides of the probe as well as a pea size on the bottom, then shoved it to the bottom of the well.

I might try the tubing idea next time, providing I can get a bigger and more cost effective heat sink. The one from radio shack was 4 bucks for a small tube. Ill check Mcmaster.

I'll be the contrarian and say skip the thermal grease. If you were doing science experiments in which response time or exact temp is critical, then I would use it. You are making beer. Do you really think your beer will be ruined if the response time is doubled or your beer is 1 F higher or lower than target?

Ruined? No, I am not concerned about that. But after spending way too much on this fermenter, I want the control afforded by this set-up. With the tighter thermowell that originally came with this fermenter I could hold an accurate +/- 0.5 degree. I would think with the slop in the new well that it would be much higher. In my very cold garage, there is a noticeable difference between 60 degrees and my normal wy1968 temp of 62 degrees.

Back