what is the difference between a stout and an imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the term imperial is being thrown around way to much these days. It used to actually mean something.

I think the term imperial is being thrown around way to much these days. It used to actually mean something.

Maybe so, but this is the exact appropriate time to toss the word around. Russian Imperial Stout is a classic beer style, with legitimate history behind the name, as it was originally brewed in England to be exported to Russia .

OP: check out the BJCP guidelines for stouts, which gives you some sense of the differences. Alternatively, compare a Guiness (a dry stout) to an Old Rasputin (an Imperial Stout).

The term Imperial used to designate a stout that was brewed for Russian royalty, correct? Back then that stout was much stronger than any other stouts available. So today the term imperial designates a beer that falls within a certain style but is more extreme in alcohol, hops, and malt. I guess I fail to see how it still doesn't mean something.

The term Imperial used to designate a stout that was brewed for Russian royalty, correct? Back then that stout was much stronger than any other stouts available. So today the term imperial designates a beer that falls within a certain style but is more extreme in alcohol, hops, and malt.

Right, but calling all of them "Imperial" sort of dilutes the historical significance of beer being brewed for the recently-opened Russian market in the 18th century. I think that's the point they're trying to make. Imperial Stout is the one style that can claim its royalty- the others could be "Double" or something. Imperial Mild is, of course, a dumb name for a Brown Ale.

Right, but calling all of them "Imperial" sort of dilutes the historical significance of beer being brewed for the recently-opened Russian market in the 18th century. I think that's the point they're trying to make. Imperial Stout is the one style that can claim its royalty- the others could be "Double" or something. Imperial Mild is, of course, a dumb name for a Brown Ale.

To me, it's like saying an India Pale Ale shouldn't be called that unless it travels on a sail boat to India. I agree that "Imperial" had a special meaning, but the names of all beer styles are symbolic of their origins. Today Imperial might not mean that a beer is made for a royal person, but it does mean that like the original Imperial Stout, it is more extreme than most other beers of the same style.

Stout is the overall category, while Imperial Stout is one member of that category, along with its fellows, Dry Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Export Stout, and Milk Stout.

Stout is the overall category, while Imperial Stout is one member of that category, along with its fellows, Dry Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Export Stout, and Milk Stout.

and cream stout, double cream stout,sweet stout and i want to make a oatmeal vanilla cream stout too:p

Latest posts

Back