CO2 is leaking...need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
So i posted last week on the dropping pressure of my CO2 tank and we all thought it was just due to the fact it was being stored in a freezer.

Well now my 10 lb tank is completely empty. I didnt even fully distribute 2 cornies of beer.

I figured the only culprit for leaking for have to be the lines or the manifold. If the cornies were leaking, they would spray beer, am i correct?

Besides soapy water (which never seems to work for me) what else do you all use to test for leaks?

Any other spots I should leak check?

TIA

Check EVERY connection EVERYWHERE!! If you run by HD or Lowes there are gas leak detection solutions that work very well. Soap has always found mine, but make sure you check the pressure relief valves on the cornies, the beer in and out (sometimes you have a bad connector) any where that a hose is attached, the regulator itself, the connection to the tank and the stem of the CO2 tank valve.

Just a shot in the dark, but do you have your nylon washers in place - little white ones

barbed-swivel-nuts.jpg

I've seen several people overlook them

A corny leak will only spray beer if the leak is somewhere on the beer out side; under the post, between the post and the connector, between the connector and hose/line. If it's on the gas side or in the lid, or in the pressure relief, it will just leak gas. You can check these by turning the keg upsidedown and sitting it on a paper towel. NOW beer would come out.

rdwj said:
Just a shot in the dark, but do you have your nylon washers in place - little white ones

barbed-swivel-nuts.jpg

I've seen several people overlook them

I think I've forgotten them. [Haven't set everything up yet - this weekend]. What size nylon washers are they, and are they available at Home Depot, etc?

It took me a while to track down my leak - it was a bad seal on my pressure-release valve on a keg. Drained the tank rather quickly too - I basically had to dump star-san on every connection (it bubbles - easy to spot). I checked that valve about 4 times before I got it to leak on command...

kvh

DSean said:
I think I've forgotten them. [Haven't set everything up yet - this weekend]. What size nylon washers are they, and are they available at Home Depot, etc?

I picked mine up at Northern. I had a TINY leak and those corrected it.

I had a small leak on my sanyo setup and suspected, but could find it.

One day I decided to charge a keg in the sanyo (usually I do that downstairs in my keezer). WHen I cranked the pressure up to 35 PSI, that's when I heard a hissing and quickly found it.

If there's a leak and the pressure is low...not likely to make itself known. Crank up the PSI for a few minutes and see if it gives itself away.

Are "Flare washers" the same as "Beveled washers"? Anyone?

I'm really hoping to put everything together this weekend, and would really prefer to avoid to order such a little part online.

Flare fittings DO NOT require washers!

I reccomend cranking up the pressure to 35-40 as mentioned above' Then make yourself some leak test Solution, and test EVERY connection.

1 Gal Leak Test:

8 oz unscented dish soap
2 oz Glycerin
Fill the rest with water

This creates a semi "sticky" solution that will show leaks with a little patience and a flashlight. Look for places where the bubbles continue to accumulate after being sprayed and let sit for 10 sec or so. I recently had a small leak where the ball valve screwed into the output of my regulator, and found it quickly with this solution.

Good luck!

Another leak test solution is the soap bubble mix in the plastic bottles for the kiddies, it works better than the "snoop" brand leak test solution. Larger leaks can make some impressive sized bubbles, smaller ones leave a foam beard on the connection.

Be sure to check the actual regulator itself. I purchased a brand new regulator, and made the incorrect assumption that the manufacturer had produced a leak-free product. I lost an entire 20 lb tank out of a leak from where the high pressure guage screws into the regulator body.

Back