First attempt to create a clone recipe:"Troegs Troegenator Bourbon Barrel Aged Clone"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genxweb

Reaction score
First attempt to create a clone recipe:"Troegs Troegenator Bourbon Barrel Aged Clone"

Should of posted this thread here and not in the general section like I did.

First off I have never tried this before. But after searching the internet and reading several articles and forum posts I have come up with this recipe and want to see what you guys think.

The clone is for "Troegs Troegenator Bourbon Barrel Aged Clone" . I had the opportunity to have this last week at their tasting room and it was amazing.

The grain bill and hops came from Troegs website. The amount came from a doppelbock recipe calling for the same grains for a 5 gallon batch. The Troegs website just says lager yeast so I searched for several different doppelbock recipes and what yeast they called for and came up with what I put in the recipe.

The extra section I took from several topics on here and websites on how to add oak, and liquor to a homebrew without actually having a barrel. Then I researched amounts to use for coconut flavoring and vanilla flavoring.

The process is what I planned out in my head to do.

Give it a read and provide some good feedback or ask questions. I been home brewing for a year and normally take a recipe and change it around a bit for experimenting. So far I been on the money. Though this is basically a whole clone from things I put together.

Grains Malts: (This is all grain need to change to extract)

* Pilsner: 4.75 lbs
* Munich: 9 lbs
* Chocolate: 2oz

Hops:

* German Magnum 1 oz 1 hour
* German Northern Brewer 1/2 oz 1 hour? (took time and amount from Brewmutt's doppelbock)

Yeast:

* White Labs WLP838 German Munich Lager, White Labs WLP833 German Bock Lager (cold ferment: place in basement)

Extras:

* Vanilla:2 oz
* Oak : 2 to 3 oz cubes. French seems to give the least oak and allows for longer soak
* Makers mark Bourbon: 16 + oz to taste (I get to drink the rest, no reason to skimp)
* Coconut: 1.5 lb to 2 lb toasted (soak up oils before adding)

Process:

1. Steep grains until you reach 170 degrees
2. Add Malt and bring to boil.
3. Pitch in hops and boil for 60 minutes.
4. Cool to 70 degrees and move to fermenter.
5. Pitch yeast.
6. Ferment for 1 week.
7. Soak oak cubes, bourbon and vanilla in container for min 48 hours
8. Toast coconut and remove as much oil as possible.
9. Move to secondary
10. Dump in the oak and bourbon mixture along with the coconut. (possibly sanitize muslin bag and add everything in there and filter bucket liquid through it)
11. Taste every 3 rd day to avoid the oak from overtaking the flavor.
12. Once ready remove the oak chips and let sit for another week before bottling (some say 4 months)

Back