Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. I completely support the addition of brewing related classes added to a business/restaurant management curriculum, but a school like that I just don't think will do a brewing science program justice. How many kids are going to go to that community college now and just sign up because it involves beer?

Their Intro to Brewing class should just link to the beginners forum here to learn from others mistakes and successes.

The beginners forum here (along with most of the forum) is riddled with BS. A marketing person made a mistake, but that doesn't mean the program isn't good. It only means that they have a sloppy process for marketing materials.

I wish people wouldn't think that listening to people ramble about things they don't know is better than a class taught by a modestly competent teacher. This forum, which is good and bad, is an Internet forum, not a class. Ugh.

After being here a while, I think it's more like, 1) trusting what books & papers say in regard to your own situation. & 2) Misreading or misinterpreting results. We're all learning as we go here...

The beginners forum here (along with most of the forum) is riddled with BS. A marketing person made a mistake, but that doesn't mean the program isn't good. It only means that they have a sloppy process for marketing materials.

I wish people wouldn't think that listening to people ramble about things they don't know is better than a class taught by a modestly competent teacher. This forum, which is good and bad, is an Internet forum, not a class. Ugh.

I only tell the truths! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/funny-things-billy-klubb-should-say-about-beer-public-510992/

Holy shiz billy. Those are legitimately real facts about beer! I have so many more facts maybe you could cross check for me- maybe we can get together and discuss.

I had a person in a LHBS try to tell me how simple it was to brew beer. He then went on to tell me to show up to his class.
All the while he was trying to talk me out of using my vacuumpump to rack and bottle be telling me I was "over thinking this and making it too hard".
He insisted it was easier if I use an auto siphon.

not even those who sell the stuff know everything.
:tank:

Ugh.

I've learned 85% of what I know of brewing here and most of it in the beginners forum... I'm making great beers and just dove into AG BIAB. If the pre-keg sample is any indication, I'm killing it.

Went from a crappy first extract batch (before joining) to 2 great extract batches, one tasty AG batch kegged and another AG batch fermenting away in the span of 3 months.

Thanks HBT Beginner's forum! :D

I've learned 85% of what I know of brewing here and most of it in the beginners forum... I'm making great beers and just dove into AG BIAB. If the pre-keg sample is any indication, I'm killing it.

Same... the guy just likes to get heated and post angrily on my comments without catching my drift. My point about that school is that I took a class there, and it was horrible. Modestly competent teachers is a stretch.

Shrug.

Same... the guy just likes to get heated and post angrily on my comments without catching my drift. My point about that school is that I took a class there, and it was horrible. Modestly competent teachers is a stretch.

Shrug.

BWAHAHAHA.

I get annoyed with the fact that this forum *tends* to think that it's the end-all-be-all about brewing. YES, there's a lot of useful information and people share their experiences. YES, you can learn a lot from it. But you have to admit that you have to sift through a lot of opinions that might not be the best advice. And half the time there's a debate about something, so you have to either experiment yourself or decide who to listen to. (Just a few examples are water chemistry, secondaries, carboy sit buckets, CO2 blanket, etc.).

And that's fine, IF THAT'S HOW YOU LIKE TO LEARN. But if you're someone who wants to take a class to learn, then navigating the beginners forum MIGHT not be for you, and it's certainly not comparable.

I'll take your word that the drafting class sucked. But obviously you had experience. If I wanted a drafting class, a link to the beginning CAD forum wouldn't exactly be what I needed.

Sorry I offended HBT.

They can edit it and only use Yooper posts for the class. BS will then be removed.

I get annoyed with the fact that this forum *tends* to think that it's the end-all-be-all about brewing.

We are forum. We are one. We are legion. You will be assimilated.

Sorry I offended HBT.

Prepare for assimilation.

Or berry-punches, if the Billy Klubb entity arrives.

Opinions on how to brew beer the right way are simple to navigate. There is the right ways, and the wrong ways. While there are obvious things that are wrong, like brew a lager at 90F or use actual milk in a milk stout, it is really subjective for the most part.

I have some basic ideas that work for me every time. I've been called out for giving bad advice for sharing that information. But when it comes down to brass tacks, it is really only you that you have to please. If you like your beer you are doing it right.

Rant off.

There is the right ways, and the wrong ways. While there are obvious things that are wrong, like brew a lager at 90F or use actual milk in a milk stout, it is really subjective for the most part.

Actual milk Ina milk stout...hmmmmm.

Kind of like actual oysters in an oyster stout...

They can edit it and only use Yooper posts for the class. BS will then be removed.

That would be different from a link to the beginners forum. That would be collecting someone's work for reference. That's edited or "curated." That's EXACTLY my point.

Agreed. I completely support the addition of brewing related classes added to a business/restaurant management curriculum, but a school like that I just don't think will do a brewing science program justice. How many kids are going to go to that community college now and just sign up because it involves beer?

Their Intro to Brewing class should just link to the beginners forum here to learn from others mistakes and successes.

Probably as many as the Introduction to Brewing as part of the fermentation sciences program at UC Davis. And just as likely, 80% of the kids who joined for an "easy" elective will just find out that a large portion of the curriculum is organic chem based.

Most of the kids there drop out pretty quickly.

Ordered a Stone IPA at a bar in town. The bartender poured it into my glass from a bottle, as hard as he could; almost foaming it onto the floor. As he was doing this...

Bartender: "Tumble, tumble, tumble, tumble. When it tumbles in the glass - that's when you know it's a good IPA."

Me: :confused:

That is pretty funny! I agree you want a good head on an IPA, but "tumble tumble tumble..." Still chuckling.

Using real milk in a milk stout...hmmmm!

Kind of like using real oysters in an oyster stout.

I really wish I had read this 2 days ago before starting my Real-Oyster-Milk Stout!

I was wondering what the weird smell was!

Who did you get to milk the oysters? :mug: And how many oysters do you need to milk in order to get enough oyster milk for a batch of beer?

Many, many oysters had to be milked. And lets just say I can not longer look those oysters in the face!

bartender: stone "delicious ipa" is brewed with lemongrass

(i realize he meant lemon drop hops)

I really wish I had read this 2 days ago before starting my Real-Oyster-Milk Stout!

I was wondering what the weird smell was!

One of the funniest threads I have read on here was the guy who was making Banana Foster beer and used real cream. It created a kind of cheese that floated to the top and he claimed it was delicious!

Wow.

From BA said:
2.25/5 rDev -16.4%

Tastes like powdered candy. Hard to really knock it for that, wasn't exactly expecting fresh fruit flavors. I've had worse craft beers.

I can't say anything... before I got into craft beer, we used to regularly enjoy "Lunchboxes" after a long kitchen shift..

Lunchbox:
One pounder of Sparks energy drink
One pounder of Miller High Life

Mix in a ridiculously large glass, get wasted, blow things up.

I have nipples, burninator. Could you milk me?

images

I can't say anything... before I got into craft beer, we used to regularly enjoy "Lunchboxes" after a long kitchen shift..

Lunchbox:
One pounder of Sparks energy drink
One pounder of Miller High Life

Mix in a ridiculously large glass, get wasted, blow things up.

You invented 4 Loko. You should sue.

I took my uncle to a local microbrewery/restaruant and he asked the bartender for a coors light and they of course did not have it so he asked what the closest thing to coors light that they had? The bartender replied, umm water...I about fell off the stool laughing.

Back