American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a quick picture I took of my combo pale ale/IPA batch after it got the gelatin treatment. This is definitely going to be a staple that I keep on tap. The pale ale makes for a great hand pulled ale and the IPA is wonderful.

Just picked up ingredients for this brew today! Finally got all my AG equipment, so this will be my first AG batch. It looks fairly straightforward. I will post again in a few weeks to let you guys know how it turns out.

This finished bottle conditioning on February 24th I made a five gallon batch. I gave away 24-12 oz bottles and had 13-16 oz fliptop bottles for myself. Well today, a week later I have five 16 oz fliptop bottles left. This beer tastes amazing, crisp and clean. I do not get very much head on it when poured into the glass but damn it tastes good.
I gave a six pack to my buddy that sometimes brews with me and he liked it so much that he said we had to brew this so he could have some of his own. Well last weekend we brewed up a 10 gallon batch, been fermenting almost a week now, two weeks to go in the fermenter and then three weeks in the bottle. It's a good thing that I have EdWort's Kolsh conditioning in the botttles now for a week, only two weeks to go before I can taste another excellent beer, I am sure!!
Have to keep that pipeline going!!!

HoboBrewery said:
If you can find Gaffel, that's my idea of a quintessential kolsch. It's light, has good balance with the tiniest straightforward malt flavor, and I can drink 6 of these with a smile on a summer day.

FYI kolsch is an ale that gets lagered at low temps at the end.

Some examples Kölsch from Köln that I've either seen on tap or in bottles are Reissdorf (recipe in Beer Captured) and Gaffel.

I lived in Köln for a while and hit every brewery in the city from Sion to Päffgen. I think my favorite of them all is Früh, the brewery right next to thh Kölner Dom.
They were all good, but very hard to find here.

This finished bottle conditioning on February 24th I made a five gallon batch. I gave away 24-12 oz bottles and had 13-16 oz fliptop bottles for myself. Well today, a week later I have five 16 oz fliptop bottles left. This beer tastes amazing, crisp and clean. I do not get very much head on it when poured into the glass but damn it tastes good.
I gave a six pack to my buddy that sometimes brews with me and he liked it so much that he said we had to brew this so he could have some of his own. Well last weekend we brewed up a 10 gallon batch, been fermenting almost a week now, two weeks to go in the fermenter and then three weeks in the bottle. It's a good thing that I have EdWort's Kolsh conditioning in the botttles now for a week, only two weeks to go before I can taste another excellent beer, I am sure!!
Have to keep that pipeline going!!!

I had that same issue with not much head the 1st time i brewed this. I added an additional pound of 2-row the 2nd time and it gave it the perfect head and body IMO. I believe it had to do with my efficiency the first time around, hence the additional pound of grain.

Drinking my first batch of this on today. I did the extract version with leaf hops. Its excellent, much better than the Amber Ale kit from Northwest that I did as my first brew.

In a few minutes I will be bottling my 3rd brew which was an all grain version of this using Safeale04 yeast and pellet hops. I like it so much I may use it as a base brew to try different hops and modified boil times to learn.

Brewed 10gallons of this yesterday. Used US-05 yeast (1.5L starter) and she's fermenting hard and fast now in less than 5 hrs! Simple recipe, can't wait to taste it!

I brewed this as my first brew (I did AG too as a first brew). I ended up with about 70% efficiency with the mash. I had a boil over and with boil off I ended up with 4 gal post boil. I didn't top off and I just set into fermentation with a OG of 1.064. I pitched Wyeast 1056 on Presidents Day (brew day) and had air lock activation the next morning. I just racked into the secondary at 1.011 (so about 6.92% alcohol) after 12 days in the primary. I'm going to secondary for 7 days. I am planning on adding gelatin to the secondary after 5 days and put it in the fridge for 2 more days to clear. Going to keg next Saturday and hopefully drink in 2-3 weeks!

My sample was a bit bitter and rough with the alcohol (almost vodkaish, which I used in the air lock but it shouldn't have pulled in much) when I tried it 3 days ago and today it was a bit better but still bitter/alcohol flavor. I took the sample and chilled it in ice for a taste and it tasted A LOT better. So I'm hoping after clearing and keg conditioning I'll have a nice brew to enjoy during the next brew day!

I too am brewing this as my first AG brew. I have some extra Centennial hops I might try and add in there somewhere.

Come to think of it, I might not have enough bottles or keg space for this... Oh well, cross that bridge when I get to it.

SAM ADAMS PARTY!!! :)

EdWortsPaleAle.jpg

Has some chill haze to it but who cares, it tastes awesome.

This sounds like a great recipe!

I am switching to All Grain and have tried to read up on Batch Sparging techniques but sometimes people type things differently so i don't want to make any assumptions.

Ed Wort's originally posted
"Mash Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.
"

I want to make sure I'm reading this right.

I have a Orange 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler I bought with a false bottom.

My plan is to heat water to around 162 so that when I mash into grains it settles at 152.

Stir and leave for 60 minutes.

At 60 minutes I will add 5 quarts of water at 175 degrees and vorlauf a couple quarts , maybe a gallon until the wort is clear.

I will then drain off that wort in to my keggle or holding tank.

I will then immediately add another 3.25 gallons to my mash and this is where I'm not certain, do I immediately vorlauf or should I let it soak for maybe 15 minutes and then vorlauf and drain to keggle.

Thanks for helping me to clarify this first all grain batch process!

Another question, I've never cold crashed a beer before. I do have a new Keezer I put together. Should I, after 10 days keg and place in keezer to cold crash at 38-40 degrees or is that too cold? Just trying to verify what I think I read.

Normally I primary for 10 days or so and secondary for 2-3 weeks and then bottle!

Thanks for your help!

First off, make sure you pre-heat your mash tun, otherwise that 162 water in a 10 gallon cooler will drop way below 152 when you add grains.
Secondly, as far as your sparge of 3.25 gallons, you will want to stir your grains for a minute then let it set for about 10 minutes to settle out. Then continue as planned. Finally, you can cold crash if you want but this beer came out very clear after siting in primary for 3 weeks so you may not need a cold crash. Good luck on your first AG, its alot of fun.

bmickey, this is an awesome recipe in my opinion, I have my second batch fermenting now , will be two weeks this Sunday.
At 60 min mashing your grain in the cooler you will drain the first two quarts(Vorfauf) in to a container and then pour back ontop of your mash, I put a pie tin down on top of the mash and pour the contents of the two quarts of vorlauf on top of the pie tin to diffuse the wort so it does not disturb the grain bed. Then you drain the cooler into your brew pot or keggle, this is the first runnings.
Then you want to add your 5 quarts of 175 degree sparge water and stir it up really well, let it sit 10-15 min. Then Vourlauf again and reapeat the process above.
Then immediately add another 3.25 gallons to your mash and stir it up really good let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes and then vorlauf and drain to keggle. You should (if you calculated right) have the amount of post boil wort you need. Now you get your wort to a boil and start adding the hops per the directions.

Just tasted a sample from from the secondary and it is great. Great recipe... Can't wait till she carbs up.

Just tried my first one from the first batch I made about 6 weeks ago. Seems pretty decent so far a bit hoppier and maybe a bit hotter than I would have expected though I feel like that will clear up with age. Its my first all grain and third beer and the first beer I have made that to me doesn't clearly taste like homebrew if that make sense.

Gonna try this tonight as a partial grain. I've got the Vienna and crystal grains and extra light LME. This will be my 2nd ever brew session. Any last minute tips for a beginner?

I just kegged my first batch! Its currently force carbing right now and I'll be trying a first pull next weekend. Pretty exited as this was my first batch ever.

Took a fresh 5 gallon keg of this to a party last night. was worried it might not be ready, as I fermented for 14 days, crash cooled, filtered, and forced carbed, so the beer was 20 days old. with this batch,my ferment temps got away from me hitting 85dg, so i thought it might taste bad. Befor i left for the party, I dry hopped with 1 oz cascade in a nylon stocking, weighted with marbles. This beer was a real hit, had a real nice color and head,and generated lots of questions about how I made it stc., and tasted pretty darnn good considering its age

Took a fresh 5 gallon keg of this to a party last night. was worried it might not be ready, as I fermented for 14 days, crash cooled, filtered, and forced carbed, so the beer was 20 days old. with this batch,my ferment temps got away from me hitting 85dg, so i thought it might taste bad. Befor i left for the party, I dry hopped with 1 oz cascade in a nylon stocking, weighted with marbles. This beer was a real hit, had a real nice color and head,and generated lots of questions about how I made it stc., and tasted pretty darnn good considering its age

Congrats! Wait till you get some age on one with right fermentation temps.

Here's my first attempt. Made with extract and crystal malt, centennial for bittering and cascade for the rest. Three weeks in the bottle and it's getting really tasty! A bit too much on the bitter side, but that seems to be diminishing over time, but I'll still probably lower the bittering hops slightly the next time I brew this (+ I'll get some Vienna malt for the next batch).

(click for bigger picture!)

cheers from Norway :)
:mug:

Ok.. My daughter turned 3 yesterday and we had a little party for her. The adults cleaned me out of 5 gallons of this recipe. It appealed to bud light drinkers and some of my fellow beer geeks. This was my first " hey people try some home brew" opportunity. I thought I was hooked before ... Now I am a lifer.
Thanks for posting this recipe Ed.

* oh and this beer was very green too!

So I have all of the ingredients to make this, but my Cascade hops are only 5% AA. If I remove the 30 minute hops and add them at 60 minutes to get more IBU's, but I keep the 15 and 5 minute hops the same, will this affect the flavor much? I always though 30 minute hops didn't add much flavor, only IBUs.

Or should I keep the hop additions the same and just deal with the lower IBU's?

You should keep the hop addition times the same, but alter the amounts so that you end up with the correct IBUs.

You'll always have to deal with varying AA levels in hops so you need to learn to adjust what you have to get what is specified in the recipe.

Wait, I have a 1/2 oz of chinook hops at 12.1 AA. How much will this change the flavor if I use them at 60 minutes to bring the IBUs up? Is it worth it, or should I just buy another oz of cascade? I don't know if I'll have time to make it back to my LHBS.

Wait, I have a 1/2 oz of chinook hops at 12.1 AA. How much will this change the flavor if I use them at 60 minutes to bring the IBUs up? Is it worth it, or should I just buy another oz of cascade? I don't know if I'll have time to make it back to my LHBS.

the pale ale i make is similar to Ed's (his recipe inspired mine) - anyway, i use all cascades as well, but the 2nd time i made it i had to use a quarter ounce of warrior to compensate for the lower AA...i thought it added a weird bite, but i didn't really notice for a while - i guess the beer mellowed and unveiled what had already been there...still enjoyed it thoroughly though...

i'd like to hear from the experts, but from that experience, i'm thinking that high AA hops should be saved for strong beers

I brewed my third Haus Pale Ale this Monday (AG), but I have not seen any airlock activity yet. I wonder if I should pry the lid open and take a look?

btw, I keep yeast in a plastic container in my freezer, would that have anything to do with the yeast?

Back