Recommendation for new pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckda4th

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a new pot and would love some input if anyone doesn't mind... There are just so many options out there, and I'm sure plenty of reliable stores and makes exist I've never heard of.

Biggest requirements are as follows:
-At least 10g (prefer 15g) - Currently do 5g batches, but picture myself doing some 10g now and then within the next year, and more and more as time goes on.
-15-19" diameter - this way it will cover 2 burners on the gas stove in my kitchen.
-Under 14.5" high (lower is better) - this way it will fit under my stove-top microwave. It only will cover about 30% of the pot, so I'll still be able to access everything and DME won't be an issue.
-Available with at least the hole for the ball valve pre-drilled, if not a ball valve pre-installed.

Perks I'd love to have:
-Induction-compatible - I'd like to build a "brew room" at some point using one of those 3000W induction stoves and some immersion heaters to get the water up to temp initially. This is probably a couple years down the road, but would love to leverage the same pot.
-Thermometer hole drilled, although I may never use it - have a digital with probe I've had great experience with, so this is really low on the list.

The two I've seen that I'm really debating over right now are the Polar Ware 15 at NB, which fits all my size requirements, but it doesn't look like it's induction compatible. The other is the Megapot 10 at NB, but I'd be trading off 5 gal of boil space for the induction and ~$50.

Thoughts? Anyone know of any others that would fit that I'm missing?

TIA!!

I just bought the Polarware 10.5 gallon kettle from NB and am very happy with it. I got the taller, skinnier one, not the short fat economy one.

One thing to be careful with on the Polarware pots is the valve connection. It is not a coupling, it is a threaded nipple that required a TON of teflon tape on it to make sure you don't crank the valve down on it too far. If you over tighten the valve you will trash the treads.

I just bought the Polarware 10.5 gallon kettle from NB and am very happy with it. I got the taller, skinnier one, not the short fat economy one.

One thing to be careful with on the Polarware pots is the valve connection. It is not a coupling, it is a threaded nipple that required a TON of teflon tape on it to make sure you don't crank the valve down on it too far. If you over tighten the valve you will trash the treads.

Looks like the 15g I'm looking at is the same quality level, and they just completely change it from tall and skinny to short and fat when you go from 10 to 15 on that same level.

Thanks for the warning...definitely helpful.

That's a pretty good sized pot to be using indoors.

I have a step bit you can use to drill a hole if you'd like. Not sure where in Philly you are. If you'd like to check out my pots, you're more than welcome. One is a 15 gal Blichman, the other two are the Penrose Kettles. Not sure they will fit your requirements though.

That's a pretty good sized pot to be using indoors.

I have a step bit you can use to drill a hole if you'd like. Not sure where in Philly you are. If you'd like to check out my pots, you're more than welcome. One is a 15 gal Blichman, the other two are the Penrose Kettles. Not sure they will fit your requirements though.

Thanks for the offer. Ended up going with the Morebeer BE315. It fits my stove, has 2 ports already drilled, and comes with a SS ball valve, so I should be good to go.

I also read somewhere it's the same pot with slightly different dimensions as the NB Megapot, and they advertise theirs as induction-friendly. If I ever do build a formal brew-room or get the boot from the kitchen, I'll then have that option as well.

I'm hoping it'll be here by next weekend, and will report back regarding how it works in case anyone else has similar requirements.

Back