Recipe Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to understand a recipe in John Palmer's book How to Brew.

For the porter recipe it lists:
3.3 lb pale malt extract (LME) in boil
3.3 lb pale malt extract (LME) at knockout
0.5 lb crystal 60L malt
0.5 lb chocolate malt
0.25 lb black patent malt

I am not trying to brew this now or in the immediate future - I have just put my first batch in primary. I'm just trying to understand so that I could if I wanted.

Is crystal malt the same as caramel malt?

Do I have to steep the crystal, chocolate and black malts before beginning the partial boil? If I have to steep these malts does this qualify as a partial mash?

Is knockout the end of a 60 min wort boil?

Thanks

Is crystal malt the same as caramel malt?

Do I have to steep the crystal, chocolate and black malts before beginning the partial boil? If I have to steep these malts does this qualify as a partial mash?

Is knockout the end of a 60 min wort boil?

Thanks

Yes it is the same. Yes you steep at 150-160 for 30 mins or so. No it is not a partial mash.

Yes knockout is the end of the boil. I would add that LME sooner than knockout. Maybe 5 or 10 mins before knockout.

Yes it is the same. Yes you steep at 150-160 for 30 mins or so. No it is not a partial mash.

Yes knockout is the end of the boil. I would add that LME sooner than knockout. Maybe 5 or 10 mins before knockout.

Pretty much what I was thinking on all the questions. Thanks.

Back