Next book to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Pear

Reaction score
So I was going to pick up another beer related book but I'm kinda torn between
Yeast
Brew Like a Monk
Brewing With Wheat

Is either one more indispensable than the other? I have a pretty good understanding of yeast from an academic background and lots of reading on here and feel that I practice pretty good yeast habits already but maybe there is something awesome in that book that i'm missing. I recently read the Farmhouse Ales book and that was a pretty good read as far as getting some history on the styles and even a discussion of some of the commercial recipes. Anyway any thoughts are appreciated!

I thought brew like a monk was a lot like farmhouse ales. It was heavy on history and covered the Trappist & other monk brews well. I haven't read the other book yet.

I think the same author, Stan H., wrote Farmhouse Ales, Brew like a Monk, and Brew with Wheat, but I've not read them all.

I read Yeast and thought it was good.

Not listed, but have you read Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher? Outstanding in my opinion.

I just ordered Gordon Strong's newish book and The Brewer's Apprentice which is an anthology.

Not listed, but have you read Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher? Outstanding in my opinion.

I'll third this motion.

Brewing With Wheat is a good read too. Much like the other books you've read it gives a good deal of history of each style. It doesn't so much give you recipes but guidelines. If I took anything away from this book is better recipe development for my wheat beers. Not to mention some techniques to try to incorporate in the future.

There are some great stories of the people who make world famous wheat beers.

I have not read Yeast yet. And Brew Like a Monk is next in line on my bookshelf.

Back