Ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rikfxsts

Reaction score
This is my first batch of beer at home. It is an Oatmeal stout. I made a lot of mistakes (but learned a lot for the next batch).

After one week in the primary, and 2 1/2 weeks in the secondary, I am reading a gravity of 1.020. I read the same thing about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Any thoughts? It is supposed to finish around 1.010, according to the recipe.

Ready to bottle? The gravity isn't changing. Did it not fully ferment? Did I pull it out of the primary too soon? There is about 3/4 of an inch of white stuff at the bottom of the secondary. It has been sitting in the primary/secondary at 70degrees.

Thanks!

Looks like the gravity is stable, and you should be fine to bottle. After 3 1/2 weeks I doubt it's gonna drop any further.

You may have racked to secondary a little early, I always wait at least 10-12 days and I've reached my target FG or very close, because once you take it off the yeast cake it won't usually ferment much further. I typically only see 1/4 inch of yeast trub at the bottom of the secondary. Your beer will be fine, just keep it in mind for next time.

Thanks for the info. I understand it's a learning experience, and I have already learned a TON from this first batch....Time to brew the next batch!

Back