SMaSH!(UK)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsloan

Reaction score
Based on the conversation on the "Maris Otter" thread, I've decided to brew up a Single Malt Single Hops recipe, to give ye olde Maris a kick in the balls. What I'm shooting for is something inherently English Bitter-y. I wanted to favor the malt, as well... I'm not that big a hop head. But the plan is to go with all Maris Otter as a grain bill, and then only use Yakima Goldings (in lieu of their cousins across the pond).

Here's what I've come up with... please do give it a critique, as it's still about three weeks away until I'll actually brew it:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: SMaSH!(UK)
Brewer: J.P. Sloan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Standard/Ordinary Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.25 qt of water at 174.4 F 158.0 F

I have done apfelwein. And BM SWMBO SLAYER but I have not done a SMaSH yet. THink I might try with extract and a small amount of Fuggle

Just made an observation last night.

I've already drank more of the SMaSH than the OktoberFast! I brewed a month prior!

This has to be the best-tasting beer I've brewed yet!

Hehehe, welcome to the obsession. That's how my first SMaSH was, too. (2-Row + Hersbrucker. GREAT stuff.)

After realizing we killed the keg in 1/2 the usual time, I did some Golden Promise + Amarillo. Even better than the first one.

Your recipe looks rock-solid. If it were me, I probably would have done 1.5oz at 5 mins, and then dry-hopped with the remaining 1/2 ounce of Yakky Goldings. (Dem's the same Goldings I have stockpiled in the freezer. I keep them on-hand for Hobgoblin. :p)

Marris Otter makes a great SMaSH. Simple, clean and everyone seems to like it, BMC drinkers and craftbeer lovers alike.

I find it interesting how you think you get your taste in beer figured out, and then you taste something new that worked better than your previous best. At this rate, I'm going to have to start wearing Depends when I pop open a cold one!

I was surprised at how much body I got out of the Maris Otter. I mashed it a little hot in an attempt towards that end. Sure as hell worked!

SMaSH is the SHiznIT :D

myself and friends have made quite a few of them.

Vienna + Northern Brewer
Munich + EKG
Belgian Munich + Mt. Hood
Pilsner + Saaz

All of them have been fantastic. i still want to do an all-wheat with tettnanger. i think that would be tasty.

:rockin:

Anyone done an all wheat SmaSh, yet? Someone told me it could not be done. Why, I don't know.

Anyone done an all wheat SmaSh, yet? Someone told me it could not be done. Why, I don't know.

The argument would be that wheat can't go it alone, and that most wheat beers are around half wheat.

But wheat can, in fact, actually be used all by itself. I'm not sure what a 100% wheat beer tastes like; someone else surely knows.

Whoever told you it could not be done did not know what they are talking about.

Wheat has far more enzymes than most pale malts, so it actually is better at converting. However, it does not have any husks, so you need some way to create a filter bed. One way would be to use a bunch of rice hulls. I personally would just use a bag so that you don't get a stuck mash.

The wheat flavor may be a bit overpowering on its own...I think it would be good as a wheat wine or something to that effect.

Whoever told you it could not be done did not know what they are talking about.

Wheat has far more enzymes than most pale malts, so it actually is better at converting. However, it does not have any husks, so you need some way to create a filter bed. One way would be to use a bunch of rice hulls. I personally would just use a bag so that you don't get a stuck mash.

The wheat flavor may be a bit overpowering on its own...I think it would be good as a wheat wine or something to that effect.

True that.

Wheat has a very, very high diatastic power... something like 160+ degree Linter.

I have thought about doing a Marris Otter smash by doing two seperate mashes. One mash at 150F and the other at 165F. Using the 150F mash for the bulk of the malt as a base and the 165F mash to add body and colour by reserving half of the 165F mash and boiling it down and carmelizing it in a pot.

That sounds like a scottish ale or something. I'm not sure about mashing HALF at 165°F, tho...you won't get any fermentable sugars from that and it may taste incredibly sweet and dextrinous...I'd probably cut it down to a smaller percentage. Good idea, tho...let me know how it goes.

I boiled down a red/amber ale a couple of weeks ago...I didn't hit my color and over-sparged a bit, so I took about a gallon and boiled it down to about 1/4. It tasted great before I added it to the boil.

Back