Numbers are coming in for my Imp Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana Red

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on a Expedition clone that was in Zymrgy magazie a couple years ago.
Aprox #29 of grain, mashed at 153. Pulled nearly 10gal of woart and bouiled down to 5.5 after the hop schedule was done.
OG was 1.146 and after 1 week in primary is down to 1.052. I know that it needs time and I am in no hurry. W/O repitching, shouldn't I get down to 04 or 03 after a month or 2 in secondary? It does taste quite sweet, as I expected and the last 3 days I had to move the primary it was in to a cooler area, about 67 instead of the 71 or so that it usually is in.
I'm not worried but just wanted to tap into the wisdom of the oldtimers no how much more attenuation I can expect during the next couple months. I used a fresh yeat cake of WL 001 cal ale after a brown ale I experimented with.
Any helpfull input is appreciated.
Thanks

That's one big beer! :drunk: I have no experience with a brew that big, but I would expect that it would take several weeks in the primary alone. I would leave it in the primary for at least 2 weeks, but I would say more like 4 realisticly. Then give it quite a while in secondary, maybe 6 weeks or longer. You may need a high gravity or champagne yeast to finish fermentation. Some others with more high gravity experience could be more helpful. Paging david_42, paging david_42...

Back