Degassing.. how much is too much..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Background: I have this wine made with second-run pumace (a gift from a fellow BHTer!), a bit of an ongoing experiment/learning experience, as I do not know much about winemaking..
It is now 6 months since start, got racked twice so far with Kmeta addition.

This morning I read a bit about degassing and tried the Vaccu-Vin vaccum method with great success, at least visually... strong gas bubbling out to no end...!!

The question, how much degassing is too much?

For best results degas at temps in the low to mid 70's since colder temps will hold in C02. When you first start degassing, notice the size of the bubbles as they are small and many. As you get close to the end you will start pulling bigger bubbles and much less of them and that will continue forever as that is just vacuum being pulled through your wine and you are done. If you had a brake bleeder you would be able to hold a vacuum of at least 15" on the gauge and that tells me Im done.

Back