First Time Brewer Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccarulli

Reaction score
Is it possible for my brew to have fermented with no visible signs? I have it in a 1 gallon clear carboy, and after 14 days there was no foaming or residue at the top. I did get some bubbling, but nothing extensive.

FYI- being my first time i brewed with Brooklyn Home Brew Kit, and no hydrometer to test gravity...

possible, but very very unlikely. Assuming your using an ale yeast; I'd suggest re pitching. Also get a hydrometer some point soon, they are good to have.

Well a hydrometer would tell you, but yeah, re-pitch asap, then it if looks like it's fermenting use that time of re-pitch as your starting date.

If re-pitching does nothing then it may have fermented already and just not shown signs of it.
You can also take a taste sample. If it's still really sweet it hasn't fermented, if it's tastes like un-carbed beer, then it did.
It's in a dangerous place for infections if it hasn't fermented so be careful about opening it unnecessarily.

I appreciate the help.

So how about if it tastes like un-carbed, but slightly sweet, beer lol.

FYI its a Belgian Tripel...

Perfect advice and yet another reason hydrometers are fantastic.

For a little more help, I would check the airlock. What's the level? Is it really low? Then some was sucked inside and could have infected the batch. If it's pushed water up, then it has fermented, at least a little. Maybe try smelling the water inside. It should have a fairly strong odor that doesn't smell sour.

I have, surprisingly, had 2 or 3 batches ferment with very little to no signs at all. Right now I have a batch of cider that's been sitting for 3+ weeks "fermenting" but I know the problem there. I switched brands of pressed apples and forgot to check if any preservatives were use. Yes. Potassium Sorbate. And it works great! I even went to the trouble of making almost a pint of starter a week before I picked up the juice. Oh, well. At least it's bubbling slowly now, and not infected. (It smells fine.)

Definitely grab yourself a hydrometer and a graduated cylinder from your LHBS. You can pick both of them up for under $20, and it will be the best $20 you invest into this obsession. You also may want to grab yourself a "thief" (fancy looking turkey baster) to pull samples from your fermenter (approx $10). So you are in the hole maybe $30 but you will be able to insure you hit your numbers, and in this case, verify that yeast have run their course and fermentation is complete.

Back