first starter for yeast bank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffStewart

Reaction score
So I've got my starter in the fridge that I'm going to collect yeast from for my bank and my question is.. how long does it need to stay in the fridge to get the yeast out of suspension?

I usually leave mine for a day or two in the fridge. After a day I would say you are probably fine but I have had a little better success with 48 hrs as it seems to settle more and compact the yeast at the bottom.

I'm assuming that since you're using solution you're also not slanting the yeast on agar. In that case you should be using RO water so the yeast don't have anything to munch on.

Yea no slants. The solution is the yeast and solids with a bit of the starter from the bottom. But in the freezer they shouldn't be eating anything anyways right? I"ve got about 9 15ml culture tubes with varying amount of solids in the bottom. Anywhere from 3ml to the entire tube. I probably did it incorrectly just trying to figure out what and correct it for next time.

If you're going to be freezing them, then they need to be in a glycol solution so the cell walls of the yeast don't rupture when they thaw. I have no experience with that, but I think it needs to be a 15% glycol solution.

Yea, 15% of glycerol was added and thoroughly mixed in the solution. I guess I'll just have to wait and see which ones work out and which don't.

Back