Oktoberfest Hop Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samie85

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing this Oktoberfest recipe today:

3 lbs Munich LME
.5 lbs. Pilsen DME
1 lb. Caravienne

I have an ounce of Hallertau hops that are a little higher AA% than I anticipated them being (4.6%). I was originally going to go with this schedule (based on the hops being 3.8%):

.5 oz 60 min.
.25 oz. 45 min.
.25 oz. 30 min.

I'm thinking this schedule would lead to the beer being a little too bitter for the style (31.7 IBU's according to Beercalculus). I'd like to utilize the full ounce of hops, as I don't anticipate using them in another recipe any time soon.

What does everyone think?

Batch size? You can brew more beer! Just scale up the rest of the recipe by 20%.

Batch size? You can brew more beer! Just scale up the rest of the recipe by 20%.

2.5 gallons. I would scale up if I had more ingredients, but I'm limited to what I have on hand, which is what is listed. I guess I could just dilute the recipe a little as the ABV is a little on the high side to begin with at 6% ABV...

I'm gonna go ahead and make it a 3 gallon batch with 60 min. and 5 min. hop additions.

I'm gonna go ahead and make it a 3 gallon batch with 60 min. and 5 min. hop additions.

That sounds a little more better; maybe .75oz at 60 mins and .25 at 5 mins. I also am one that does a single 60 min addition in my Oktoberfest.

Back