Tower Shank Nut Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
What size is the nut on a tower shank?

What kind of wrench works best, just an open-end?

Kind of cramped in there...

Hey, did you figure this out? It didn't occur to me earlier but I realized that my new tower came with no friggin clamps on the shanks and it's managed to leak all my CO2 over the last week. But, I don't have a wrench I can fit in the tower.

It is definitely cramped in there, an open ended wrench doesn't do it.
I've heard people using pliers....good luck with that one, prepare to mangle the nut and get frustrated.

1-1/16 closed end wrench worked for me, after i cut it with a dremel.

cheers

Well I went online and did some research on this, and discovered Micromatic (and others) sell a thing called a "shank & faucet wrench". One end is like a thin open-ended wrench, and the other end has a unique shape suited to working on the part of the shank that's on the outside of the tower.

I went ahead an ordered one, and will be trying it out in a few days when it arrives. If that doesn't work, I guess I will be going out to HD to buy a new wrench so I can mangle it with my dremel...

Micromatic has one for $9, and a "heavy duty" version for $15. I'm not really sure what the difference is between the two. Probably the heavy duty version is thicker and won't bend as easily.

Well mine is definitely heavy duty, in a sledge hammer for a fly swatter sort of way but I like good tools. As a bonus it happens to be the size I need to remove my wired oil drain plug on the car. ...and I wanted it now.
Cheers.

Back