Fruit Beer Belgian Apricot Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solaris79

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 73 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5-7 days @ 73 degrees
Tasting Notes
Delicious explosion of fruit flavors. Very well balanced.
It's a pale ale base w/ real Apricots and Belgian Yeast.

2 1/2 gallon boil

.20 lbs Crystal 80L (30 minute steep)
7 lbs pale DME (60 minutes)
1 oz Columbus (60 minutes)
1 oz Cascade (30 minutes)
1 oz Amarillo (2 minutes)

Chill, add to fermenter, bring to 5 gallons, aerate, then add smack pack of Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. Allow to ferment up to 7 days. Fermentation is extremely vigorous, so blow-off tube may be necessary.

Transfer contents to secondary fermenter. Add 3 lbs of fresh apricots. I puree them myself, put in a small pot, bring the temperature up to 170 degrees fahrenheit, and hold for 10 minutes, constantly stirring the puree. Cool it down in an ice bath, then add to secondary fermenter. Blow off tube is mandatory for secondary fermentation. Allow to ferment up to 7 days or until all activity subsides. FG should be around 1.014.

Bottle or Keg. If you want to leave the apricot puree floaties in the bottles, it's a nice floor show. Otherwise, I just tie a sanitized hop bag over the fermenter end of the siphon and filter the floaties out (leaving them in the fermenter).

Enjoy!

:mug:

The apricot in there is sort of subtle, but enough to make it known. You can cut back on the bittering hops a little bit and be OK if you'd like more of the apricot in there. You may want to make sure it ferments a little closer to 70 degrees to get the fruit esters of the yeast acting up in the Trappist High Gravity yeast.

So I attempted this brew. I substituted for 7lbs of amber dme because I enjoy amber over pale base. But apricot is out of season in my area and can't find any fresh. So I was wondering if any one has a good fruit substitute I could try instead when I am ready to move to secondary. Thanks!

So I attempted this brew. I substituted for 7lbs of amber dme because I enjoy amber over pale base. But apricot is out of season in my area and can't find any fresh. So I was wondering if any one has a good fruit substitute I could try instead when I am ready to move to secondary. Thanks!

Any stone fruit, or you could even look to get the canned versions that are used for brewing.

i.e. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oregon-apricot-puree.html

Back