Couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vav

Reaction score
1: How safe is it to actually touch Straight-A cleanser? I mean, i wanna reach in with a sponge and go to town for cleaning, but it made my hands feel slippery.

2: How about Iodophor? I used the one tbsp. to 5 gallons of water, and some of the stuff wasnt 100% dry when it was time to move the wort...specifically the hose. Is that a problem?

3: As above, how dry does everything actually need to be? Can i make the sanitizing solution, dump my stuff in, let it sit, take it out, shake it off/out, and use?

4: Do you need to re-pitch Iodophor to the solution as it starts to become less amber colored?

5: Best way to store canes & hoses to dry throughly AND stay sanitized?

I don't use iodophor so I can't comment too much, but what I do to when I sanitize my stuff is spray the dishwasher quickly with a spray bottle of star san and then when I sanitize everything I put it in the dishwasher and then run the heated drying cycle.

its been working for me so far.

If Iodophor is a no rinse sanitizer you should be fine with just dumping it in and then using it.

I use OneStep so I can't comment on the multiple uses of Iodophor, but I can tell you that there's no real good way to store hoses and canes and keep them sanitized. I bought several tubs that are 2'x1'x8" and several others that are 1'x18"x12" and after everything dry they go in a tub and the led gets closed. When it's time to brew again everything gets sanitized before I use it.

1. Economical and environmentally safe, Straight-A is an oxygen based cleaner that contains no phosphates. Use for all your brewing equipment and to soak labels off bottles.

I don't think its going to hurt you.

2. You will be fine with the iodophor, a few drops of water won't have any adverse effects.

Diluted iodophor is often used by homebrewers and home wine makers to sanitize equipment and bottles. Its major advantage over other sanitizers is that when used in proper proportions it sublimates directly from solution to gas, and hence leaves no residues. It is also non-toxic to humans and therefore especially suited to food processing applications. It is cheap and effective, but it can leave unattractive orange-brown stains on plastic parts and equipment that it is left in contact with.

3. Thats is basically what I do. I let my bottles sit on the bottle tree till dry but everything else I still have little water on after soaking.

4. Not if you mixed it correctly, from what I have read using a higher concentration makes no difference. You will just be wasting it.

5. I just lay them over something so both ends hang down and call it good.

Back