Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

Reaction score
I was wondering how the concentrates from Homewinery compare to fresh fruit or berries? I see they only want 28.95 for a jug. It will do a five gallon run. That seems cheap. For five gallon of Mott's apple juice it cost me around 23.00. I was wondering about the black berry in particular as they are a pain to gather and I think I would like to have another carboy of it going. Mike

I friend of mine has made the pear and elderberry form those and they came out very good. I have another friend, who does commercial wines, uses a Blackberry concentrate and it comes out good too. The thing to remember is that a 64 brix concentrate (this is what they are) should use 1 part concentrate to 3.2 parts of water to get a full strength juice. So using 1/2 gallon to 5 gallons will put you on the thin side.

I made five gallons of blackberry wine with a can of concentrate and ten pounds of fresh blackberries. I have it in the secondary right now. I haven't had any problems as of yet with the solid packed fruit concentrate either.

I should of said that the can of concentrate was a 96oz tin can. Its conentrated enough for a five gallon batch.

Back