Transferring 10gal wort from kettle to conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pintdiaries

Reaction score
I just received a bunch of new equipment for Father's Day: a 15gal brew kettle, a 14.5 gal conical fermenter, and 10gal coolers for MLT and Sparge tank.

But, I do not have a brew tower/sculpture; and I do not have a pump.

Any suggestions on how to transfer 10 gallons of wort to a conical fermenter without using a pump? Obviously gravity is the only other solution; I'm wondering if I could use some kind of modified jack to hoist the boil kettle high enough...

I just pick it up and put the pot on a 3' wire shelf so gravity can do it's thing. It's pretty heavy, though, so I guess that depends on your health/strength.

EDIT: It just clicked that you wrote conical rather than carboy. Sorry. There should be some sort of mechanical fix (pulley system?) if you have a high enough anchor point for the pulley. Might be best just to get a pump, though.

I empty the kettle into a sanitized bucket, 3 gallons at a time. then pour into the conical using a large funnel. But then, I brew in the back of the backyard and ferment indoors. Much easier hauling buckets than a full conical.

I have used a 1 gallon sanitized plastic pitcher to move wort in a pinch...not flashy but will work fine....3 gallons at a time in a bucket is a simple easy fix as stated above.

Thanks, everybody--I'll be using a combination of lifting it onto a wire shelf and transferring it into a sanitized bucket right now (since I brew out back and ferment indoors, too).

The other solution I just thought of involves using an inexpensive furniture hand truck to move the kettle up a simple wooden ramp to my deck, with the conical below, and using gravity to transfer. Then I'll use the hand truck to move the conical inside for fermentation; and move the conical up onto the deck for bottling (or just ask a brew buddy to help me lift it onto the counter in the winter months when it is too cold to bottle outside).

Back