ringwood yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrewski

Reaction score
What types of beer are good with ringwood? I have a smack pack but I'm not sure what to make with it. I just made 2 other IPA's so if prefer something else.

Apparently, it's either Deschutes' house strain or something very close to it. That'd be a great place to start.

A Mirror Pond clone has an easy grain/hop bill, so the ingredients should be easy to acquire.

Look for the Can You Brew It recipe in the Recipe/Ingredients section of the forum.

there are a few breweries in New York state that use exclusively ringwood as their strain. They make a broad range of styles, from pale ales to porters. I have a smackpack myself and have been trying to figure out what the best style I can make with it is. I'm figuring I'd make a pale with it just to see what it does without too much interference

bwomp313 said:
there are a few breweries in New York state that use exclusively ringwood as their strain. They make a broad range of styles, from pale ales to porters. I have a smackpack myself and have been trying to figure out what the best style I can make with it is. I'm figuring I'd make a pale with it just to see what it does without too much interference

Keep us posted on how it turns out. I've seen a couple of IPA recipes with it. Probably be nice in a pale.

It is a good strain for most styles, hoppy and malty. I like it for pale ales, stouts, porters, IPA, and it does well in blondes/american wheat. Ringwood has a bad reputation for producing lots of diacetyl, though if you treat it well, it is a fast and clean fermenter with excellent flocculation. Make sure you pitch a large starter and keep the temps below 70F. I know a few of the NY ringwood breweries ferment their beer with this strain around 60F, so it can go that low. Also, be sure to aerate very well.

Lastly, if you haven't made a starter with this yeast and plan on pitching today, you're asking for trouble. Good luck.

Absolutely requires a diacetyl rest.

I made a DFH 60min clone with it, and it turned out great.

It is a good strain for most styles, hoppy and malty. I like it for pale ales, stouts, porters, IPA, and it does well in blondes/american wheat. Ringwood has a bad reputation for producing lots of diacetyl, though if you treat it well, it is a fast and clean fermenter with excellent flocculation. Make sure you pitch a large starter and keep the temps below 70F. I know a few of the NY ringwood breweries ferment their beer with this strain around 60F, so it can go that low. Also, be sure to aerate very well.

Lastly, if you haven't made a starter with this yeast and plan on pitching today, you're asking for trouble. Good luck.

Perfect, thank you! No worries, I decided not to brew today after all. I'll definitely do a starter to use this. Great info! :mug:

Latest posts

Back