Dry hopped too soon. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spmckee

Reaction score
I have an IPA that was supposed to be in the secondary for 2 weeks then tertiary for another 2 with the addition of dry hopping. In my haste I added the hops to the secondary, how should I proceed?

Should I just move to tertiary in two weeks and call it good? Should I add more hops to tertiary when I move it? Should I move the beer and hops from secondary into tertiary?

First time dry hopping so I'm not sure how the oils work quite yet. Thanks for your help!

SP

Skip the tertiary - it's not needed for an IPA. You could even have skipped the secondary and dry hopped straight in the primary.

I wiki'd "tertiary",it's mostly used to refer to the 3rd stage of education. Applying it here,I'd have to agree. Fagetaboutit. You can indeed dry hop in primary after FG is reached & the beer clears for a couple of days. I'm doing that with my 1st IPA now. It'll get bottled Wednesday.

unionrdr said:
I wiki'd "tertiary",it's mostly used to refer to the 3rd stage of education. Applying it here,I'd have to agree. Fagetaboutit. You can indeed dry hop in primary after FG is reached & the beer clears for a couple of days. I'm doing that with my 1st IPA now. It'll get bottled Wednesday.

Tertiary simply refers to a third step in a process. The OP was correct in his vocabulary. Dry hop in the secondary and then package. No tertiary needed.

Tertiary simply refers to a third step in a process. The OP was correct in his vocabulary. Dry hop in the secondary and then package. No tertiary needed.

Well,maybe here,but wiki didn't mention a thing. Anyway,I've never seen the term used here,either. Secondaries are becoming a thing of the past,let alone a third vessel. Home brewing isn't the same as a brewery.

Well,maybe here,but wiki didn't mention a thing. Anyway,I've never seen the term used here,either. Secondaries are becoming a thing of the past,let alone a third vessel. Home brewing isn't the same as a brewery.

Regardless of where we are, tertiary means third in a series. Maybe instead of wikipedia, we should use a dictionary:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tertiary

Regardless, there is no good reason to use a tertiary fermenter. Secondaries are less and less used. Dry hop in the primary/secondary.

I usually dry hop in primary after a couple of weeks, and like most people said the secondary isn't really needed

Yes,I found what tertiary means from wiki,that should've been clear. But it is strange that wiki didn't mention it in the brewing sense,since they cover so much other brewing terms,compounds,etc.
It's just never been expressed in that way here that I've ever seen.
Anyway,it def isn't needed...

Tertiaries aren't that uncommon in brewing certain beer styles, like fruit beers and fruited sours. E.g. Bucket primary for the base beer, carboy secondary on the fruit, stainless steel tertiary/bright tank (and, technically, serving vessel) to condition off the fruit.

I have only used a secondary once like a year ago but i think I will use it to add spices to a pumpkin ale to make washing yeast easier. It may not even be necessary then.

We are getting off topic here. Yes tertiaries do exist, the one guy just never heard of them. Screw the wiki, it's a wiki which isn't perfect by definition.

As for the tert fermentation. I would rack to the tert and re-dryhop. The best IPA's are dryhopped multiple times.

Secondaries are usually considered a bright tank. But conditioning off the fruit? What purpose does that serve? Something to do with the souring in Belgians? Seems to me that that's rare for the usual fruit additive brews made over here?...

Secondaries are usually considered a bright tank. But conditioning off the fruit? What purpose does that serve? Something to do with the souring in Belgians? Seems to me that that's rare for the usual fruit additive brews made over here?...

Secondaries CAN be a bright tank, but they can also be true secondary fermentors. With fruit beers, many people prefer to ferment the fruit in secondary to maximize the fruit character that makes it into the final beer. Because fruit sediments tend to be extremely fluffy, some people like to rack an additional time to get the beer off the sediment and to fine the beer to get the rest of the fruit haze to settle out. If you keg, you have to rack again anyway (the keg being the tertiary). Whether the secondary or the tertiary is the main aging phase is a matter of preference.

Oook...sounds like I should've been doing that when I was wine making decades ago. And yes,fruit trub is very "fluffy" indeed,I remember having a lot of that. New to me about this tertiary thing.
Aaaanyway,where were we? I wonder if they re-rack with every dry hop? Can't say as they've ever shown that on youtrub...

We are getting off topic here. Yes tertiaries do exist, the one guy just never heard of them. Screw the wiki, it's a wiki which isn't perfect by definition.

As for the tert fermentation. I would rack to the tert and re-dryhop. The best IPA's are dryhopped multiple times.

What do you mean every dry hop?

^^ see above. I wondered if he meant re-racking for multiple dry hoping?

Back