Stir plates and bars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhltechie

Reaction score
Hi All,

So i made my stir plate today using instructions from here and all over google. Unfortunately I do not have a stir bar and cannot really think of any way to test...or use it. I am making a starter tomorrow that I wanted to take advantage of the plate but I decided too late to get a stir bar here.

The plate wasn't too bad to make. Course it took me the better part of a day after driving out to get a few parts. Thankfully I had the magnets and fan and power supply. so only cost me $20 to make. The only thing I am a little bummed about is that i got an illuminated on/off switch that doesn't work. the switch works but the lights do not. I think my issue is its not a 12 volt switch. I hooked up a switch i have for something else that is 12v and it lit fine...that sux. :mad: oh well.

anyone have any ideas on making a stir bar? I tried with a few small magnets...that didnt work out too well.

TIA,

M :mug:

My switch peed the bed as well...

Just hardwired it right to the power supply (ie: wall wart)....

As far as a stir bar, I just bit the bullet and bought a few of them to test and ended up with a 1" bar that stirs my starters in a 2000ml flask like a whirlwind....

Good luck!
:mug:

I made them out of all sorts of stuff. My best was glueing a plastic washer around a 1" roll pin.

I ended up buying a 1/2" one and it works far better than anything I made. Northern Brewer. BTW, I looked all over locally, lab supplies, medical facilities, etc. No luck. Couldn't find one.

thanks guys....i just bought a set of a few off of ebay with free shipping....i figured i may as well get a few different sizes and the free shipping helps. guess i wont be testing it out tomorrow!

Back