Regulator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
How long should a regulator hold pressure while the gas and the shut off valve that feeds the system are off. Is it normal for it to lose a couple a pounds every few hours.

If it's not normal, is there any way to isolate where the leak is coming from? I checked everything with soapy water and came up empty. I tightened down everything too, just to make sure and checked to make sure all the washers are in place.

I personally think you are worried about nothing, but if you have found no leaks maybe it is normal.

A regulator with a line and connector on it should hold pressure for a day or more. A better check is to put the connector on a keg, because connectors may leak when not connected and not leak when connected.

Leak isolation is a royal pain. I've got 51 threaded connections in my kegger and a leak. Short of putting the secondary regulators in a bucket of water, I've done everything I can think of to find it. I'm getting about a month out of a #5 bottle. Before I redid the kegger, I was getting 2-3 months. I wouldn't mind so much, except the welding shop is 35 miles away.

I was told by a rep at Micromatic that their regulators will bleed down slowly over time when there is no pressure being applied to the inputs.

John

david_42 said:
A regulator with a line and connector on it should hold pressure for a day or more. A better check is to put the connector on a keg, because connectors may leak when not connected and not leak when connected.

Leak isolation is a royal pain. I've got 51 threaded connections in my kegger and a leak. Short of putting the secondary regulators in a bucket of water, I've done everything I can think of to find it. I'm getting about a month out of a #5 bottle. Before I redid the kegger, I was getting 2-3 months. I wouldn't mind so much, except the welding shop is 35 miles away.

Dissasemble your setup and put teflon thread tape on all threaded connections, if you did not in the first place.

jaybird said:
rdwj
LOVE the avatar!!!!!
can you say "NICE KEGS"
JJ
i was just about to hijack this thread and say the same thing. good thing you did it first so i dont have to

:rockin:

Glad you guys like the avatar!

As far as my leak goes, I think I'll try the teflon on everything. I have some quick disconnects and it doesn't look like there is any tape in the gagues on the regulator.

Hopefully, that will help

if you are using flared connections, make sure you are using washers on any metal-metal connections (the flared QD's have a washer built-in).

david_42 said:
...I've got 51 threaded connections in my kegger...

Sounds like your kegger is more complicated than Astrophysics. Maybe homebrewing is rocket science after all. I certainly hope you've got more than one keg hooked up to a system like that!

Back