Backsweeten/Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guscampag

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to backsweeten a batch of cider and bottle it up. I am new to this hobby. I see several posts have said that one ounce of sugar to one gallon of cider.
My simple question is how many teaspoons is one ounce of sugar?
I know we're switching liquid and solid quantities, so I can't figure it out.

thanks

gus

Welcome Gus!
28.35 grams = 1 ounce. There are 27 grams in two tablespoons of sugar . There are three teaspoons to a tablespoon. So....6 teaspoons would give you pretty close to an ounce. Measuring sugar this way is not terribly accurate.

Remember if you are backsweetening you'll need to add a different kind of sugar (lactose, splenda etc.) besides the usual priming (carbonation) sugar.

Yeah, you might be a slight be confused. The one ounce per gallon is for carbonation only, it will not sweeten your brew at all. If you want to both sweeten it and carbonate it, you much add 1 oz per gal to carbonate, and than a nonfermentable sugar as mentioned, like lactose or splenda.

has anyone added splenda?
and if so, how did you find the taste...i prefer splenda in coffee, drinks, etc..so just wondering..I have some Edworts Apfelwein that i need to backsweeten for the wife in a week...
Thanks

Back