Belgian Triple recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
I want to try a Belgian Triple next time I brew. Does anyone have some good recipes for me to try? I found one in the most recent edition of Zymurgy which looks very simple and delicious. Here is the recipe:

12 lb pilsner malt
.5 lb wheat malt
1.25 lb candy sugar
.95 oz EKG 90 min
1.25 oz EKG 30 min
1 oz EKG 5 min
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes or 3787 Trappist yeast

OG 1.080
IBU: 31

I like it because it is simple, but can someone critique this recipe for me?
I know a protein rest is normally recommended with wheat malt, but the directions in the recipe does not call for it. Should I do one anyways?

Thanks,

Charlie

If that's a 5 gallon batch, bump the sugar up to 1.75# or 2#. 1.25# is only 11.5% of fermentables. You want 15-20% for a tripel. Protein rest not necessary. Mash between 146-150 DegF for 75-90 minutes to get good attenuation. Tripels should be on the dry side.

One more question...the recipe has you adding the candi sugar after a few days of fermentation. I have never done this before but I and guessing it is to help the FG get down as low as possible. I guess I just boil the sugar in a small amount of water for 15 min, cool then add to fermenting beer. Sound good? Anyone else do it this way? I can't wait to brew this! :mug:

Thanks.

+1 on the big starter. i did a double batch day on wednesday with 2 belgians, and i split the yeast from a nearly 3 gallon starter between them. about 400ml of yeast slurry for each beer.

also, i definitely add the candi sugar at high krausen. the one thing that can stress yeast the most is high gravity wort, so it's a good idea to allow the yeast to start multiplying an then add the candi sugar so the yeast are really healthy. i usually put the candi sugar in the blender (if it's the hard kind) to crush it up and then boil it for a bit in as little water as possible.

Back