Substituting wheat grain for wheat LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasabs

Reaction score
I have an extract recipe that calls for 1 lb wheat LME. I do not have this but I do have wheat malt. Can I use this and steep with my speciality grains? If so, what would be the amount needed?

you would need 1.33 pounds of grain to be equivalent to 1 lb of LME. wheat extract isn't 100% wheat, typically it's 40-60% wheat, but you'll be fine going with 100% wheat (but if you do have some 2-row, you'll get closer by using it for a little less than half of the weight). you'll need to mash the wheat/2row, you can't just steep it... mind you, mashing is just an extended, and controlled, steep.

If your malted wheat is crushed fine you can steep it (mash is the proper term, I know) at about 152 to 155 and get the benefits of the wheat extract. It should only take about 20 minutes to get the majority of the conversion of the starch to sugar if it is crushed fine enough. Since this is only a small portion of your fermentables it shouldn't make a huge difference if your steep isn't quite perfect.

Back