Pool kits accurate enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For pH measurements?

I get a detailed chemical analysis from the city labs on request and it always lists pH levels from the tap but, I'd like to verify just out of curiosity.

Not worth buying a pH meter as I don't monitor pH that specifically since I use the buffers. I am curious mostly because I grow my own hops and I speculate that my water may be causing some irrigation problem in the soils.

So, would a pool kit be a good enough indicator of pH for this?

why not just get a $5 tube of ph test strips?

B

Yeah, I know. Trouble with strips is that if they are cheap they can be a difficult read. The beer strips I use are the only ones available at LHBS and they are a pain to read.

Basically, I wet them by dipping and the paper itself does not change color much but the small droplet on the paper changes drastically. I would expect that the paper itself woul change and I should shake off the droplet but, I assume these papers are cheap and near useless.

Latest posts

Back