Flameout -- Definition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
At first glance this is a fairly dumb question, but bear with me...

...what do you consider "flameout?" Literally when the heat gets turned off, or when the heat gets turned off and the pot has been removed from the element? Does it matter?

I consider flameout to be when the burner is turned off. Although my stand is still pretty hot, I think the heat transfer at that point is minimal. The only reason I could see that residual heat from the stand would come into play would be during cooling. If you're trying to get your wort down to 70F and your stand is substantially hotter you may want to move the pot somewhere else.

"flame" "out"

If you are using electric or something...electricoff. The element can remain hot for a little while, but you're probably ramrodding cold water through a chiller to it doesnt matter.

I'm referring to the hop addition, yes. I've been told that the temperature of the wort for flameout additions has an impact, in terms of sensitive aromatics.

On electric, I'd consider flameout taking it off the burner. Toss in your flameout addition at this point and chill as fast as possible. If you can't get under 140 in a few minutes, consider adding the aroma additions later. If the wort remains hot for a longer period of time, you will isomerize more alpha acids than intended.

Back