BEST music in a film... (orchestral scores aside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to Oh brother where art thou. In related but off topic, Fallout 3 has the best game soundtrack.

Haven't seen it, will have to check it out. Fight Club had a pretty badass last song too by the Pixies now that you bring up ending songs.

O Brother

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Big Lebowski

Clerks II

Any Wes Anderson, Kevin Smith, Coen Brothers or Tarantino film

oh brother where art thou, sure, pulp fiction sure, blues brothers was a great one also. what about easy rider, and Immortal Beloved. those two were better, but not by much. for me it would be a toss up. maybe easy rider, by a nose. Then again thier is too many great music out there that could be labled as simi, or autobiagrophical and maybe that woud be a catagory all on its own, Examples would be woodstock, no one here gets out alive, no direction home, the janis joplin story (cant remember the name to that one), but strickly for movies that are not autobiograpical then I guess for me it would have to be easy rider.

I agree with most of the above, but will include

Apocalypse Now

Includes
The Doors
The Beach Boys
The Stones

and of course this

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW if anyone wanted to know what Singles's soundtrack looked like

Would? - Alice in Chains
Breath - Pearl Jam
Seasons - Chris Cornell
Dyslexic Heart - Paul Westerberg
Battle Of Evermore - The Lovemongers
Chloe Dancer / Crown Of Thorns - Mother Love Bone
Birth Ritual - Soundgarden
State Of Love And Trust - Pearl Jam
Overblown - Mudhoney
Waiting For Somebody - Paul Westerberg
May This Be Love - Jimi Hendrix
Nearly Lost You - Screaming Trees
Drown - Smashing Pumpkins

Actually you could probably say any Cameron Crowe album is one of the best movie soundtracks.

Django Unchained had great music. All Wes Anderson movies, Life Aquatic and Darjeeling Limited being my favorites. Forest Gump had good music as well.

Blade+Runner.png

I guess my intent was more of a "Music that fits the movie perfectly" kind of question. A crappy movie with fantastic songs is pretty worthless.

On a funny note, Thanks to a few people here, I watched Death Race 2000. God awful movie, but the bizarre soundtrack that didn't match whatever was going on in the movie wins for worst ever.

Pretty much any quentin tarantino film always has excellent music. Whether it's in Reservoir Dogs when the hostage is being mutilated or the rockabilly/countrish song as Uma Therman is chopping off arms and legs or the classic scene in Pulp Fiction there are always a really odd combination of songs that work way better than anyone else would think they should. Man has a way of combining two things that shouldn't fit together into somethign awesome.

The Big Lebowski, all the songs from the movie, not just those released on the soundtrack. I used to have a nice CD with all the songs from the movie interspersed with funny quotations from the movie.

I really like the Rushmore soundtrack as well.

Then there's Pulp Fiction, Dazed and Confused, South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, and Team America: World Police.

Maybe I am just in a time warp, but the GREATEST sound track of ALL time still has to be Easy Rider. Has anyone ever seen the movie before? If not then I would highly recomend it and watch it compleatly and then tell me what is the best sound track of all time.

I vaguely remember easy rider.

All star cast looking pretty young, very little plot and then some farmer shoots them. Great soundtrack;)

Easy Rider was a movie tied to a time period. Many movies are like this in my opinion. If you didn't live through it, it's not going to have the same appeal to you as to those who did.

Blues brothers Come on, ray Charles, cab Calloway Aretha Franklin and so many others.

Beat me to it. That's the best, hands down. But yes, a big +1 to Singles and to O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I'll cast another vote for old John Hugues movies like Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller, and Some Kind of Wonderful.

Any Scorsese film for that matter.

Scorcese, Crowe, and Tarantino all have a knack for great music in their movies.

Also I'm a sucker for the music in any Ken Burns documentary. His documentary on Jazz was great but the music backing Baseball, the War, etc. are also all awesome.

Matrix Reloaded, Pink Floyd: The Wall, Crossroads, Jimi Hendrix (yes it's a movie), Pirate Radio, The Song Remains The Same (yes, it's a movie), and of course, The Blues Brothers & O Brother Where Art Thou.
And just because Mozart was an 18th century rocker, Amadeus.
Regards, GF.

Back