Is this scorching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatbelt123

Reaction score
Or is it "bad" scorching?

This is after my first electric brew. These are two camco 2000w elements. The darker one ran through the entire boil. The other one only ran occasionally (to raise temps after pulling the BIAB bag).

This was a 1058 robust porter. For the record it tastes awesome and exactly how it was intended.

The crude cleaned up easily with a sponge and water.

I'm just worried about other types of big beers.

Thanks!

image-500225875.jpg

What's the black stuff from on the bottom of the kettle? Were you also using propane or a stove? I don't get how that would have formed using your elements only.

What's the black stuff from on the bottom of the kettle? Were you also using propane or a stove? I don't get how that would have formed using your elements only.

+1 I'm with him, that doesn't make sense unless you direct fired the bottom.

Actually I would guess the elements were still hot [enough] to scorch after you drained your BK. You should let your elements cool for awhile before draining.

Sorry for missing a few details... It's an old kettle that was used over propane. No gas was used for this batch. You guys are sharp! ;)

I cooled the the wort to 80ish so the elements would have been cool by the time the wort was racked to the fermenter.

So is this bad scorching? Or just a normal byproduct that won't adversely impact my brews?

Thanks!

I would think that the crust on the bottom of the kettle would contribute more funky flavors to your beer than the elements (judging by the picture). It looks like you had more scorching problems when using propane! Do you not clean between batches? Are those high watt density elements?

If you say that the beer tastes awesome, I don't think you have "bad" scorching. Bad scorching, IMO, would impact your beer.

A little element cleaning is all that is needed - I really dont see scorching. It seems you had much worse scorching before going electric. PS, A good soak and some Bar Keepers Friend will clean that old stuff right up.

Edit - my kettle is SO much easier to clean since going 'lectric.

Sorry for missing a few details... It's an old kettle that was used over propane. No gas was used for this batch. You guys are sharp! ;)

Thanks!

So if you are saying that the crap on the bottom of the kettle is the result of previous firing w/ propane, I would say that your elements look normal especially after brewing a dark beer...i would add to clean the elements b/w brews w/ a brush or scotch brite pad since cleaning does't appear to be a strong point.:mug:

Just be sure you clean those elements well after each brew. Oh, and take some steel wool to that pot! You may not notice it in a robust porter, but make a Kolsch or a light lager and it could be very noticeable.

i would add to clean the elements b/w brews w/ a brush or scotch brite pad since cleaning does't appear to be a strong point.:mug:

That's funny! The crud on the elements came off very easily. I could have used a wet paper towel. In contrast the crap on the bottom of the BK is tougher than nails. I'll take another stab at it...

krud build up like that on the element is normal during the boil, it is easy to clean off and I would not call it scorching, the stuff on the bottom of the kettle is definitely scorching. I sometimes get scale build up on the elements and I use a bit of citric acid mixed in warm water to clean it off.

cheers

Mix up some PBW and let it soak overnight in your keggle. You will be amazed in the morning.

Update:

Took your advice and soaked with PBW overnight and scrubbed. The scorched matter on the bottom of the BK (from propane days) easily came off.

I just finished a BIAB AG batch of EdWorts Kolsch. In the attached pic you can see the build up on the two 2000w elements. Definitely not scorching during a hard 90 minute boil!

image-3180434688.jpg

Back