First American Amber, a few off things....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
-I've read the head should be off-white but mine is pretty white.

-Body feels lighter then medium body compared to a commercial amber I have on hand.

Recipe malts/grains were:

3.2 kg LME
1.1 kg Crystal Malt 45
.6 kg Carapils

What produces a more off-white head and would more carapils help with the body? The grains were steeped around 60-65 degrees Celcius for about 30 minutes before adding the LME.

Thanks for the help!

Other then, the colour looks great, the beer looks clear, and the beer tastes good. Maybe a smidge bit too malty compared to what I like but one of my faves in my short career of brewing.

would more carapils help with the body? .

no. all crystal malt adds to the body, not just carapils, and you already have too much in there. if the body is still lacking to you, id try a lower attenuating yeast, flaked oats/barley, or malto-dextrine

Ok, now while I like the taste, its also a little astringent. I felt like I wasn't steeping them for a long time and felt I kept good control of the temp. Was I wrong in pulling out the grain bag and letting the liquid drain off the bag or should I have squeezed the bag?

cutchemist42 said:
-I've read the head should be off-white but mine is pretty white.

-Body feels lighter then medium body compared to a commercial amber I have on hand.

Recipe malts/grains were:

3.2 kg LME
1.1 kg Crystal Malt 45
.6 kg Carapils

What produces a more off-white head and would more carapils help with the body? The grains were steeped around 60-65 degrees Celcius for about 30 minutes before adding the LME.

Thanks for the help!

Some questions:

What is your steeping temp and for how long?
What type of LME?
What type of yeast are you using?
Fermentation time and temp?
Are u bottling or kegging?

Some questions:

What is your steeping temp and for how long?
What type of LME?
What type of yeast are you using?
Fermentation time and temp?
Are u bottling or kegging?

-I remember steeping and keeping the temp at around 60-65 degrees Celcius for about 30 minutes. I then let the grain bag drip until noting was dripping off the bag anymore.

-The LME was just whatever my local beer store supplies. No brand name is attached to it.

-Safale American and Wyeast American Ale. I don't remember the date on the Wyeast package but the brew supply store gave me a discount because of the date. It is also why I picked up the extra Safale American.

-Open primary for 5 days with skimming the krausen to avoid bitter stuff falling back in at 18 degrees C. Secondary for 23 days at same temp. I realized I racked too early seeing that lots of yeast still settled to the bottom of my secondary. Also dry hopped in the secondary.

-Force carbonation kegging. Last night is when I racked to my keg and I tried my first taste 2 hours after kegging.

-I remember steeping and keeping the temp at around 60-65 degrees Celcius for about 30 minutes. I then let the grain bag drip until noting was dripping off the bag anymore.

-The LME was just whatever my local beer store supplies. No brand name is attached to it.

-Safale American and Wyeast American Ale. I don't remember the date on the Wyeast package but the brew supply store gave me a discount because of the date. It is also why I picked up the extra Safale American.

-Open primary for 5 days with skimming the krausen to avoid bitter stuff falling back in at 18 degrees C. Secondary for 23 days at same temp. I realized I racked too early seeing that lots of yeast still settled to the bottom of my secondary. Also dry hopped in the secondary.

-Force carbonation kegging. Last night is when I racked to my keg and I tried my first taste 2 hours after kegging.

Try steeping a bit of flaked wheat in with your grains, if body and head retention are lacking. I don't skim krausen, and I don't use an open primary, so I have no advice about that at all.

You already have too much crystal malt in the recipe, with nearly 30% crystal malt (if my quick math is right) so I would add less, not more!

Try steeping a bit of flaked wheat in with your grains, if body and head retention are lacking. I don't skim krausen, and I don't use an open primary, so I have no advice about that at all.

You already have too much crystal malt in the recipe, with nearly 30% crystal malt (if my quick math is right) so I would add less, not more!

What should my crystal malt amount be down to?

Well tried it again after sitting in the keg for a few more days. While there is a bit much crystal malt, i love the taste that remains in my mouth now! The 1st initial sip is a bit much but after that, its great for the rest of the glass!

Back