cleaning silicone hoses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
my last brew session, i noticed what appeared to be a few small spots of mold forming inside one of my silicone hoses. i use the hoses to pump the mash to kettle and kettle to CFC, so i'm hoping the boiling hot wort is rendering it harmless. nonetheless, i'm concerned.

what would you recommend to try to clean the mold spots out? they're about 5' long, so i can't just run the carboy brush down them and i haven't been able to find anything else around the house to run through it. is there some cleaning solution that might remove it that it could soak in or something?

when you finish your brew day are you pumping hot water/cleaner through them as you clean everything? I imagine you are, after re-reading it seems more likely that they are being stored without fully drying. Id just say make sure you are pumping hot cleaning water through and thorough drying before storage.

I picked up a long brush from the dairy supply store here.It's about 7' long and has a nylon removable brush threaded to the end.Worked great on a couple of my older stained tubes!

bleach and water should handle it too. Long keg brushes could get up in there too.

Back