Trying Dryhopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate252

Reaction score
I am on my 2nd and 3rd batches and we are trying some dryhopping on your pale ale, put about 3/4 oz of 3.8AA tetenagger (or however you spell it). It smells fantastic, that is except for the slight sulfur dioxide smell that came out of the fermenter lol. Got about 9 more days to bottling... :D

pirate252 said:
I am on my 2nd and 3rd batches and we are trying some dryhopping on your pale ale, put about 3/4 oz of 3.8AA tetenagger (or however you spell it). It smells fantastic, that is except for the slight sulfur dioxide smell that came out of the fermenter lol. Got about 9 more days to bottling... :D

I dryhop alot. In fact, I have 2 brews dryhopping as we speak. My Pilsner has some strisselspalt pellets in it, and my Imperial IPA has a couple ounces of Cascade and an ounce of gin-soaked oak cubes in it. Yeeehaw.

The sulfur thing will almost certainly dissipate before you bottle. I've had that smell a few times whilst still in carboy, but it's never followed through to the finished product.

Dry hopping is a fabulous way to make use of finding hops that you suit your taste. I typically brew 10 gal batches, and think nothing of it to dry hop with 2 different hops in seperate 5 gal secondaries.

glibbidy said:
Dry hopping is a fabulous way to make use of finding hops that you suit your taste.

Yeah, I find that I'm just about always dryhopping with Cascade. I have a couple of APAs dryhopping right now with 1oz cascade each. Yummy!

Hey from SE Virginia...

I've never dryhopped but plan on doing it when I rack over to my secondary in a few days. It looks like you guys use about an ounce for 5 gals.? Is that right? I brew 3 gal batches and figure 1/2 oz. will be fine....or is it?

tnx for any info...

keep on hoppin'

Neil:mug:

I just did my first dry hop and love the results. I was concerned about the pellet hops free floating in the wort so I rigged up this (see below) to filter them out. Turned out to be my clearest brew yet.

Just a paint strainer wrapped round the ole racking cane.

Hopstopper_3.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

pirate252 said:

HA, you are the "tetenagger" guy! (Southpark anyone?)

I think its tettnang...Good stuff, why stop at 3/4 oz? Id throw the whole shebang in there or more.

Back