walmart gift card and pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would work out fine. Until you get into doing all grain batches, that size is good.
You will hear some that say aluminum has issues, but I have used it and SS with no problem.

Hello Cyclone (I'm intuiting from your user name and location - LOL!) -

Are you doing extract brewing with a partial boil (cook 3 gallons of wort and top-off with cool water) or all grain with a full boil? If its partial boil, a five gallon (20 qt) pot would be fine. If its full boil, you might consider something a little bigger, at least 10 gallons (40 qt). For full boils, I usually start with 7 or more gallons to end up with 5.5 gallons of wort - this pot would be very full.

Just my two cents - lots of people use lots of different equipment to get to the same end - good beer!
:mug:

right on, thanks for the advice guys...I usually try to do a full boil but with extract not all grain, theres just something about adding water to my delicious wort that seems strange to me. Ill probably just invest a little extra change out of my pocket and get something a little bigger then

I've use the same pot for 3 brews so far, works well--I've done 2 partial mash/extract, with a full 5 gal boil. Its hard to boil over (not impossible, but you really have to neglect it).

I just drilled it today for a no-weld drain, because picking up over 40 pounds of hot or cold wort and trying to accurately pour it is a pain.

Its really thin, dents pretty easy if you drop it. But its cheap and works.

t

I started out doing extract batches, full boil, with a Proctor-Silex 30 qt. SS pot which is pretty cheap. I got it for $40 on sale two years ago at Cooking.com, and it's worked fine. When I made the jump to AG this June, I debated getting a bigger pot, then read some threads on this forum and decided to just use Fermcap-S to control my boils. No problems. I can do 6.5 gal. boils in a 7.5 gal. pot with no issues whatsoever. I have abandoned any plans to buy a bigger brewpot.

You could always invest the money into a turkey pot and burner. You get a big pot for use of boil for bigger boils and the burner to Brew outside.

I've had a couple of these 22 quart pots fom Wal-Mart for about the past 4 years:

0001601701250_215X215.jpg

I put a valve on one of them and recently started squeezing 5 gallon boils out of it.

If it's a walmart card i bet you could use it online at samsclub, they have all sizes and materials

I've had a couple of these 22 quart pots fom Wal-Mart for about the past 4 years:

0001601701250_215X215.jpg

I put a valve on one of them and recently started squeezing 5 gallon boils out of it.

This is the exact pot that I have also. I just did a 5gal all grain boil. Wort was about 1/2 in from the top, but worked well.

A 28-32qt pot would be easier to work with. Sams club has some really good deals on aluminum pots. 40qt-$34 Pretty cheap. I know people like SS better than amuminum, but I heard Al pots work just fine.

Back