Uses for WLP002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asidrane

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a stout fermenting away currently, but I want to get started on planning the next brew. My thoughts are to either pitch on the wlp002 yeast cake, or wash it and reuse. Either way, what recipes do people recommend that use WLP002?

Pretty much any English Style Beer.. Bitters, Porters, ESB's, Stouts, Milds... Heck, I would even be tempted to try an English Brown with it.

Something low abv or something you don't mind ending sweet as 002 gives up pretty quickly. I recommend shaking it up every day to keep the yeast in suspension. I made a DIPA with it and it just dropped like a rock at 1.025 (from 1.080) and wouldn't do anything else.

Something low abv or something you don't mind ending sweet as 002 gives up pretty quickly.

If you treat it right (and it's easy), it attenuates just fine. Just about any English style beer would be right. It makes a great barley wine, too.

Clone any Lagunitas beer that uses their house strain... especially Kronik, drool....

x2, you can get high 70's% attenuation out of it if you want.

I've only used it maybe a half dozen times, but it's not difficult to get 80% AA out of this yeast. It seems to do particularly well in high gravity worts, for some reason. Everyone dismisses it for barley wines and such, but I have a local brewery that makes an 11% (simultaneously very malty and well attenuated) barley wine from this yeast that is just pure heaven.

I've only used it maybe a half dozen times, but it's not difficult to get 80% AA out of this yeast. It seems to do particularly well in high gravity worts, for some reason. Everyone dismisses it for barley wines and such, but I have a local brewery that makes an 11% (simultaneously very malty and well attenuated) barley wine from this yeast that is just pure heaven.

Yep, we've done a couple 10-11% abv beers with it, we get right at 83% attent. with it with the right mash schedule and proper pitch amount.

It really is a great house strain, and I dont see why it isnt used more, since it floc's so well to.

Yep, we've done a couple 10-11% abv beers with it, we get right at 83% attent. with it with the right mash schedule and proper pitch amount.

It really is a great house strain, and I dont see why it isnt used more, since it floc's so well to.

+1

It's a great strain that is quite versatile and flocs exceptionally well. I've never had a problem with attenuation.

+1

I use this as my house strain for every single English and American style of beer.

Back