Using Cocoa Nibs in the Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FermentedArtistry

Reaction score
Have any of you tried using cocoa nibs in the mash? I am working on a chocolate Belgian quad and was thinking of adding nibs to the mash, and a melted Belgian chocolate bar in the last ten of the boil. And possibly some nibs in the secondary.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Brad
FermentedArtistry.com

Nibs are unprocessed cocoa and as such have not had the cocoa butter removed. As I understand it, the fatty oils in them are bad for stability and head retention.

I know a lot of beers that use cocoa nibs use them in secondary, I'm not too sure about mashing or boiling though...

A local brewery used nibs in the mash for a chocolate stout. The chocolate flavor was fabulous, but the head retention left a lot to be desired.

Nibs in the mash seems fine. I wouldn't do the bar in the boil, that's adding a LOT of oil to the beer.

You could always steep some crushed nibs in vodka and if your beer isn't chocolatey enough at bottling, add some of the vodka. That's what chocolate extract is, you'd be making your own. I have some nibs and a piece of vanilla bean steeping in vodka just for flavoring lattes, works great.

bovineblitz said:
Nibs in the mash seems fine. I wouldn't do the bar in the boil, that's adding a LOT of oil to the beer.

You could always steep some crushed nibs in vodka and if your beer isn't chocolatey enough at bottling, add some of the vodka. That's what chocolate extract is, you'd be making your own. I have some nibs and a piece of vanilla bean steeping in vodka just for flavoring lattes, works great.

I might just make some of that and drink it by itself! That sounds fantastic! And I happen to have about 2lbs of organic raw cocoa nibs sitting around...

Back