The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Cape, have you happened to hear any details behind the scalding at Trillium the other day?
I've been reading a lot of conflicting bits, just wondering what the real story might have been...

Cheers!

Hey Cape, have you happened to hear any details behind the scalding at Trillium the other day?

Cheers!

Yeah, I’ve heard from some folks we know that work there and everyone is being, understandably tight-lipped about it.

Trillium released a statement and, even with the people we know there, there hasn’t been a lot of info other than what I would call gossip.

36 year old electrician who was there as a contractor. The version I heard was that he was simply walking by a tank when a valve released (don’t know if it was human or mechanical failure) and that resulted in the burn.

I don’t want to spread more gossip as the very specific details... I’m not sure are super relevant and I want to respect Trillium’s need to deal with the situation.

No matter what, it’s a really horrible situation and from what it sounds like, it was a really significant injury.

Last edited:
Speaking of Trillium, the Spousal Unit and I hit the North End for early afternoon apps and drinks then we were wandering around the hahbah and stumbled into this over near the market.

trillium_in_the_park.jpg

Enjoyed a Permutation while edging towards the exit. That corral was mobbed up bigly...

Cheers!

Does Trillium run that setup every weekend? I guess because they can't serve over at FPC it makes sense to do the park thing.

This is the first weekend that was nice enough to even venture into The Big City, imo, and it was a beaut of a day in town.
Didn't realize there was a Pride march happening, so the city and waterfront were hoppin' with people and lots of color.
Had a fine afternoon then bailed just before Storrow was backing up from ball game traffic...

Cheers!

I never have a wait at the seaport brewery and parking isn't too bad. The drive in sux tho. From what I hear the beer garden opens up at 2 on the weekdays (closed Monday and Tues) and 11 am on the weekends. Closes at 10 pm and Sunday at 6pm. I like the "early" openings. Maybe those blue laws are disappearing

The model they seemed to be opening under, and a lot of current breweries are opening under doesn’t work.

We opened with a little 1.5bbl system but we opened the entire brewery for less then $30k all in. Plus we had a long list of other factors (most of which were pure dumb luck)... like not needed to be paid for 3+ years, having additional space just happen to come avail when as we needed it at very reasonable rates...

I’ve tried to have that conversation dozens of times with breweries in planning and no one listens.

The common theme is “I’m going to put a mountain of money into this and then brew on a 5bbl system (or even smaller)”. The most basic math then tells you that you simply cant physically produce the amount of beer that is needed to pay that initial investment back... never mind pay rent, cost-of-goods-sold, yourself a dime, any expansion... or anything else.

I think you’re going to see a ton of these small start up breweries that are taking this approach (and we see it constantly) flame out very quickly.

Whenever I try to explain it to a brewery in planning, they take it as “you don’t think I have the ability!?”
And no matter how I try to explain it’s not a matter of ability, or desire, or willingness to work hard.... I even say, “you’re taking it as if I’m questioning YOU... I’m NOT”

Nope... not a word gets through.

Ok... knock yourself out then. Spend $600k to make $12k a year.

So good news and bad news.

The bad news is GoFundMe closed my page trying to mooch money for Yooper’s plane ticket due to inactivity.

The good news is I got my five bucks back
that's a bummer. I was going to contribute, but couldn't figure out how to get my pocket change uploaded. I bet if computers had coin slots, we could have raised tens of dollars for Yoop.

Back