DIY Stir Plate speed control - high/low switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knowltonm

Reaction score
I have built my stir plate with a the minimal setup of switch, potentiometer, and 12VDC computer fan. I was previously using a 9V 300mA power supply but I have stepped up to a 12V 800mA supply because I had issues getting the thing to start every time. I now get a nice big vortex with 900mL in the 1L flask, but at the lowest setting it was still creating a vortex that went down to the magnet. Though it was smaller, I don't think I want that fast of a stir after I run high for initial oxygenation. Has anybody put in a low/high button or switch on their stirrer for this reason? I thought it would only require a switch between the on/off and potentiometer, basically running without a resistor or with a resistor to cut down the input to the potentiometer. Anybody try this? Thanks.

I have built my stir plate with a the minimal setup of switch, potentiometer, and 12VDC computer fan. I was previously using a 9V 300mA power supply but I have stepped up to a 12V 800mA supply because I had issues getting the thing to start every time. I now get a nice big vortex with 900mL in the 1L flask, but at the lowest setting it was still creating a vortex that went down to the magnet. Though it was smaller, I don't think I want that fast of a stir after I run high for initial oxygenation. Has anybody put in a low/high button or switch on their stirrer for this reason? I thought it would only require a switch between the on/off and potentiometer, basically running without a resistor or with a resistor to cut down the input to the potentiometer. Anybody try this? Thanks.

I built mine using a 9v 300mA wall wart and the same circuit as you did. I have no issue getting 2l of starter to get a great vortex. However, I do have the same issue you do with the vortex touching down in smaller volumes. I like your idea of a resistor inline with a high low switch. I thought about that, but I'm concerned about heat issues. I was going to experiment with lower voltage power supplies and/or a more resistant rheostat. I'll let you know my results when I do.

Yeah, my only real issue with the 9V 300mA supply was startup...it wouldn't start up, just a high pitched squeal until I held another strong magnet on top for a split second and took it away...starts right up after that. Maybe I didn't need a stronger supply but instead a different fan? I've got a new brushless computer fan that has only been used for this purpose...have you had issues starting yours up?

Latest posts

Back