Belgian ferment temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
I've read several on here mention that Belgians are fermented at high temps compared to other ales. What temps do the monks and other professional Belgian brewers ferment at?

Thanks,
Al

Each one is different, but as an example, Moortgat (Duvel) pitches at about 62dF and raises the temperature to about 82dF during the 5-day primary fermentation.

Yeah - "Brew Like A Monk" by Stan Hieronymous is a great resource for Belgian-style brewing. I believe the most recent thinking on the topic, as MM says, is to start off at slightly lower temperatures and to let the temperature slowly rise over the course of fermentation. I'm making a Belgian this weekend using Chimay yeast. I aim to start in the high 60s, and after a couple of days let it rise to the low to mid 70s.

Yeah, I am brewing a Saison next weekend and plan to pitch at 65 and let it slowly rise to 80's by day 5. You definitely don't want to pitch warm, but letting it slowly rise is OK.

Back