iodine test, where to buy suitable iodine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
Will just any do? Where do you pick yours up? (chemistry is not my strong suit, but I think I get the gyst of the starch test)

when using it, how much water should you dilute it with, saying it was a basic tincture picked up from wal mart. the percentage of which i do not know. say its 50%

Iodaphor works fine. To get an idea of what to expect prior to and after conversion, put a thin coating of water on a white plate and drop a bit of iodine on it. It just stays orange but very dilute just like you'd see when you have full conversion. Now mix a bit of corn starch into water, put it on a plate and drop the iodine on. You'll see purple instead of orange which is what you'll get if you haven't converted.

I use Iodophor as well. Put a small amount of mash on a small white dish... put a couple drops of Iodophor in, and as long as it stays brownish... you're good!

Latest posts

Back