What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've started making my way through Christopher Moore's books, kind of comedy-horror and comedy-fantasy mostly. I'm on his third novel (by order of publication) now. They're really funny in a dry-humor sort of way (reminds me perhaps of an American Douglas Adams), though I wouldn't consider any of it to be great literature. Just pure entertainment.

Also just finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Hilarious.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Homer, if you like that, you might enjoy Justine by Marquis de Sade. ;)
Regards, GF.

I'm not into the S&M type thing. There are some things in this book that are particularly unsavory (in their language) to me. I'm about to give up on it. The story is not particularly interesting. Basically the main character gives a (much inflated, if I am not mistaken) account of all of his sexual experiences as a young man of about 15 or so (at this point).

It's obviously a work of fiction, and although I enjoy a good erotic story as much or more as the next guy, it's getting a LOT monotonous, and his idea of what is stimulating is often far different from mine own.

I just need to find something to replace it. I do think I still have to finish the fictional dystopian story about the brewers. I forget I have it. I open my ebook reader out of habit and forget that I have Kindle for Android installed.

I like Project Gutenberg because I can access free books right from my phone. Many of them are classics. I can download almost anything written, but I usually have to find it on my desktop and copy to my phone.

I've started making my way through Christopher Moore's books, kind of comedy-horror and comedy-fantasy mostly. I'm on his third novel (by order of publication) now. They're really funny in a dry-humor sort of way (reminds me perhaps of an American Douglas Adams), though I would consider any of it to be great literature. Just pure entertainment.

Also just finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Hilarious.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Downloading Christopher Moore now...

I just picked up a 1968 printing of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest at a garage sale for a quarter.

Halfway through his followup Sometimes a Great Notion. Takes some work to get a grip on the flow of the narrative, but excellent once you get into it!

I still have to finish the re-write on that dystopian brewer's story. Almost done with that. Got book 2 started. Can't wait to get to it, now that I'm learning something about kindle. My original thought for it was a trilogy. IDK where I'll go after that?:mug:

I still have to finish the re-write on that dystopian brewer's story. Almost done with that. Got book 2 started. Can't wait to get to it, now that I'm learning something about kindle. My original thought for it was a trilogy. IDK where I'll go after that?:mug:

A Homebrewer Erotic Novel.

50 Shades of SRM.

A Homebrewer Erotic Novel.

50 Shades of SRM.

or
The War of the Humulones, an excerpt

... She placed her hand on her glass and a fine mist of condensation gently wetted her fingers. Gently she lifted it to her lips and the as the liquid passed between her lips she couldn't help but let out a gasp of excitement. The sweet malt tickled her tastebuds as...

I found that writing x-rated stuff into a story to be too easy. Writing it for more people to read is harder I'm finding.

As I look back now, it's all too apparent where the trouble started. Originally I had offered to help out the local community college in their new "Brewer's Certification Program" by having potential course takers assist me in home brewing during the summer. I thought the young college students would gain valuable experience in brewing, just to "get their feet wet" as a figure of speech, and of course, sometimes literally. Had I only more thoroughly thought through the whole process, I could have avoided the terrible end result, which shall be described much later in the story. For now, let me simply recite the events as they unfolded. No use in spoiling the dinner with the dessert, as they say (or should say, if they don't already!)

It was a warm July morning. The air was damp with last night's dew as the sun did it's utmost to turn a reasonably pleasant morning into a sticky, muggy day. I thought to myself how lucky it was that I had scheduled the first college student visit so early. Hopefully at the end of the brewing he and I could head down to the local brewpub and cool off with a couple of beers and have a much more in-depth discussion on the merits of craft beer and working in the industry. I had an inkling that the local brewer would only be too happy to encourage the young man in his endeavours.

A car pulled into the driveway. I was pleased to see that Alex, as my friend at the college named him, was on time and we could start right away. I began to walk toward the vehicle when Alex got out. Instead of the young man I had expected, out climbed a vivacious young coed with long curly blonde hair, sparkling eyes, and a slight smirk, as if she was enjoying some private joke and wasn't about to let anyone in on it.

I admit I was taken off guard, and may have actually stumbled slightly at that point, but it was too late to stop and ponder the circumstances. I carried on.

"Alex?" I inquired.

"Yep! You must be Mr. Davison." She replied, extending her arm out for a shake. I took her hand, by this point regaining my confidence. It was a brief respite.

"That's me." We shook hands and I noted her grip was firm and confident. And it was much longer than polite social protocol required.

"I can't wait to get started! I'm so excited!"

I don't think I would be lying to say that her eyes sparkled just a bit more at that comment, and she definitely stepped just a little closer as she said it. I swallowed hard.

After what seemed like a short eternity I managed to release her physical grip on me and invited her into the garage to get started. It was about this time that I realized that Alex's brewing attire was not precisely what I had envisioned for the student to wear. I had told Professor Williams that the expectant student should wear something they would not mind getting wet or maybe dirty. At the same time it should also be light enough to keep them from overheating in the summer air. After all, we would be working with heavy grains, and hot water. Foot protection was a must as well.

Alex's idea of appropriate outerwear is clearly in line with the idea of light. I had never seen anyone brewing in a skirt before, but I suppose it offered as much protection as shorts, when it comes right down to it. The tight sleeveless top covered everything up, yet left little to the imagination. To keep from seeming too interested in her, I commented on her choice of attire.

"Oh, it's not my favorite outfit, and I'm not afraid to get a little dirty." She leaned against the mash kettle with her head resting on her crossed arms and looked up at me as if she were expecting something.

"Fair enough." was all I managed to say. If you were to ask me what the problem was at this point, I really couldn't say. All I know is that my conscience was screaming at me to run away. I had never run from anything in my life, except that one time when I was crossing the apple orchard and didn't know the farmer had pastured his bull in that particular field. I wasn't about to run away now.

That was probably mistake number two.

Read The Prince by Machiavelli and you can start thinking to others. Mental manipulation. The future is now!

But yes, it's one of many phrases that "may or may not" drive me nuts. Personally. (don't get me started)

we may or may not have a thread about that. I was just thinking to myself about this earlier. lolz! nom nom nom!

What did you think?

I read 30% and set it down (back-to-back family vacations this month). I just picked it up again a couple of days ago.

Well, so far I love it. Tons of great information on the politics of the time (e.g., prohibition). The section on Babe Ruth and baseball of the time was fascinating.

No comedy at all.

I'm looking forward to the kidnapping. Should be coming up soon.

Geodesic Math And How To Use It

Dante's Inferno

Genghis Khan And The Making Of The Modern World

Kalevala

Terence McKenna: Food Of The Gods

Winston Churchill Memoirs Of The Second World War

Military Mountaineering

Skills For Taming The Wilds

The Foxfire Book

Green Eggs And Ham

Nineteen Eighty-Four

Dream Psychology: Psychoanalysis for Beginners: Sigmund Freud

By Way of Deception: The Making of a Mossad officer

The Other Side Of Deception

Edgar Allan Poe: The Complete Short Story Collection

etc...

Geodesic Math And How To Use It

Dante's Inferno

Genghis Khan And The Making Of The Modern World

Kalevala

Terence McKenna: Food Of The Gods

Winston Churchill Memoirs Of The Second World War

Military Mountaineering

Skills For Taming The Wilds

The Foxfire Book

Green Eggs And Ham

Nineteen Eighty-Four

Dream Psychology: Psychoanalysis for Beginners: Sigmund Freud

By Way of Deception: The Making of a Mossad officer

The Other Side Of Deception

Edgar Allan Poe: The Complete Short Story Collection

etc...

Green Eggs and Ham? That is some heavy reading there...

Green Eggs and Ham? That is some heavy reading there...

It's a portrayal of early Marxism. As such, it was even banned in China for something like 25 years.

Sometimes you gotta read between the lines ;-)

Currently reading The Long War by Terry Pratchett & Stephan Baxter, 2nd in the series. Seems a bit slow, just starting to get interesting & I'm about 2/3 of the way thru. I'm going to go out on a limb here & guess there's at least 1 more book in the series.
I'm just killing time till Jim Butcher's Skin Game comes out in paperback.

Something else on my shelf is this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0971680728/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
It's been on my shelf since 2001, I just haven't been able to bring myself to read it. Every time I think about it, I remember that day. Maybe it would be easier if it had a different cover. I guess I'll have to read it sometime, but I'm not in any hurry to do so.
Regards, GF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading my second Christopher Moore book, "A Dirty Job". Even more humourous (yet still kind of dark) than the previous book of his I read.

For example, this one passage describes how these shades were digging up skulls from a cemetery for Orcus to snack on (because he liked them "Decoffinated"!)

it also has at least one character whose name is the same as some real life person. A pop culture reference, if you will. I don't recall what it is now, but in the previous book I read (Practical Demonkeeping, he managed to insert Howard Phillips into the story (as in H.P Lovecraft, I assume.)

Finished The Girl with All the Gifts recently. Kinda cool. Not classic literature (pretty lame reading if you read a lot of literature), but if you like post-apocalypse, and zombies, it's good. Kinda sweet twist at the end that even an old skeptic like me didn't see coming. Synopsys: zombies have taken over, there is one last chance for humanity, and it's a place filled with scientists and some peculiar, remarkable children.

Half way through All the Light We Cannot See. This one IS for people who like nuanced novels with great writing. I just love this type of book (I'm a sucker for anything based in the WWII era). Two stories so far: Werner, gifted electronics prodigy volunteers for German military service, Marie, blind French girl, also very clever and independent, who's father might be protecting the most valuable secret in France, surviving German occupation in France. Reader cannot but think that these two lives are on a collision course. Can't wait to read tonight!

I recently found a book by Hugh Howey called "Wool" that I devoured so quickly the I ended up buying the rest of the trilogy, "Shift" and "Dust"... Good stuff.

While looking through this thread, I saw this and realized it's probably what prompted me to read the Wool series myself. I loved it. Will be an epic movie, for sure. Thanks!

What did you think?

Better late than never?

I loved it. Since it's two years since this post, a refresh: the book is One Year In America: 1927. It's a story of all the incredible things that happened in that year, with a lot of weight on the history of flight, the many failures to fly overseas, and the remarkable success of Charles Lindburg. It's a great book. I need to look and see if there's anything by Bill Bryson I haven't read now, because he is always a ringer for me.

Recent reads worth recommending:
No Country For Old Men
The Tales of Dunk and Egg
The First Law series
(The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings, Best Served Cold, The Heroes)
- all great.

Recently started book one of the Brilliance trilogy, after a friend mailed it to me and demanded I read it. He's very insistent when it comes to books, but at least has good taste generally. So far it's an interesting premise, but I'm not far enough along to recommend one way or another yet.

I dunno. I think I read something, but there's always talk. Better chance on Ready Player One getting a deal. It was super awesome. Check it out.

I don't pay much attention to "they're turning ______ into a movie!" type news stories. Often it just means Movie Studio X bought the films rights from the Publisher Y, and they may or may not ever choose to exercise the option. Where's that Gates of Fire movie I was promised? Or the Rainbow Six adaptation I've been waiting on since I was a kid? Oh hey, did you hear they're turning The Dark Tower series into a movie? You know, eventually.

Recent reads worth recommending:
No Country For Old Men
The Tales of Dunk and Egg
The First Law series
(The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings, Best Served Cold, The Heroes)
- all great.

Recently started book one of the Brilliance trilogy, after a friend mailed it to me and demanded I read it. He's very insistent when it comes to books, but at least has good taste generally. So far it's an interesting premise, but I'm not far enough along to recommend one way or another yet.

I don't pay much attention to "they're turning ______ into a movie!" type news stories. Often it just means Movie Studio X bought the films rights from the Publisher Y, and they may or may not ever choose to exercise the option. Where's that Gates of Fire movie I was promised? Or the Rainbow Six adaptation I've been waiting on since I was a kid? Oh hey, did you hear they're turning The Dark Tower series into a movie? You know, eventually.

Yea but, it's Ready Player One! Super made for movie. Original in a Matrix kind of way.

I have too many books in too many various topics to list them all, but lately I've been brushing up on the history of all the various secret societies vying for control of the world.

The Unseen Hand An Introduction to the Conspiratorial View of History- A. Ralph Epperson

Blood On The Altar The Secret History of the World's Most Dangerous Secret Society- Craig Heimbichner

The Secret Empire Part 1 The Sinister Forces Behind World Conquest And Revolution- Cushman Cunningham

I dunno. I think I read something, but there's always talk. Better chance on Ready Player One getting a deal. It was super awesome. Check it out.

That looks like a fine book!

I'm still neck deep in Shannara series. Haven't had as much time to read lately. I may be done with the series by the end of the year.

Current reads: Reich, Saving Capitalism; Piketty, Capitalism in the Twenty-first Century; Hudson, Killing the Host. All interesting takes on latter day economics.

Just finished: Hari, Chasing the Scream. Excellent history of the War on Drugs. I can also recommend Gabor, In the Realm of the Hungry Ghosts. Insights of a doctor on the front lines of the drug war in Vancouver, Canada.

Up next, some mindless fluff or as Saucy Worchestershire proclaimed - 'And now to bed to sleep off all the nonsense I have said'.

I finished this about 5am this morning :) I just couldn't put it down last night. What a fantastic story.

Blind french girl, brilliant german boy with a mind for electronics and radio, on a collision course during WWII. Story jumps around both in time and place. Superb character development, rich story telling, excellent writing style. If you like an intelligent writer telling a great story, this is it. I see a movie in the future.

All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel

51MfO0a70ZL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I gave away most of the books I had after reading them many times over the years, all the usual stuff Zane, S. King, Twain, etc. etc. My closest book shelf behind me has about 1000 rds. of asst ammo, hard drives, cameras. That is office supply stuff. Ammo is great to have on hand but this winter I really missed my old collection, dust of time and all.

I gave away most of the books I had after reading them many times over the years, all the usual stuff Zane, S. King, Twain, etc. etc. My closest book shelf behind me has about 1000 rds. of asst ammo, hard drives, cameras. That is office supply stuff. Ammo is great to have on hand but this winter I really missed my old collection, dust of time and all.

"Bookshelf" includes Kindle/iPad.

I stopped collecting books a long time ago, switched to kindle, now read on an iPad. I don't miss the books much at all, especially the crappy low-contrast paperbacks.

Back