Taking bottles to altitude

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewolero

Reaction score
So, this week I might be heading up to Sucre, Bolivia, which is at 2750 m (9000 ft) and I want to take some homebrew with me to share with a brewer. I might also be going further to Potosi (4000 m/13000+ ft). If I take some bottle-conditioned brews, how likely is it that they're going to explode on me? Most were primed to hit 2.7-3.2 volumes, and they're just standard lager bottles I picked up off the street here.

Thoughts? help?

I don't know what the quality of the bottles are down there, but up here they vary greatly. That said, one of the sturdiest commercial bottles is only rated to 3 volumes. So, if you have stuff that is already near there or past it, I would highly recommend against bringing them to high altitudes without taking some precautions against them exploding. You might want to consider burping them as you go higher to relieve the pressure.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/bottle-co2-volume-capacities-261268/

I've had bottles in the suitcase in an airplane and they did not explode. However, some of them did leak some pressure and beer through the cap.

Latest posts

Back